Question abot babies spitting up....

How much spit up is normal, and how often?

For instance, my 3 week old spits up milk out of his mouth and his nose pretty much after every meal. Sometimes it's immediately after eating (he's breastfed so it's not a problem with a fast flow bottle or anything like that), sometimes, there's a delay, and when I think he's done burping and spitting up, I put him down for bed, and he spits up all over his pajamas and down the back of his head.

Is this normal behavior for a 3 week old? I have cut out milk in my diet, in case he's allergic, but it still happens.

Has this happened to anyone else? Did it resolve itself?

LilySchey

Asked by LilySchey at 2:56 PM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Do you have overactive letdown where the baby can be overwhelmed by the flow? If so, then lying down to nurse might help, or expressing with a pump or by hand unti letdown and catching the extra flow with a cloth until it slows. That's all I can think of.  Try searching http://www.kellymom.com/

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:00 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• My son did this as well, and it always looked like a ton of milk. I saw on TV recently however, a little blurb about spit up where they showed how much an ounce looks like when spilled, and it made me realize that my little one is really NOT losing his whole meal. Spitting up is normal, and your son sounds like he spits a lot like mine did.
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 3:29 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I remember when i breastfed my daughter I was talking to a friend of mine and all of a sudden she spit up through her nose and mouth too. Scared the tar out of me. But she eventually outgrew it. I did mention it to the doctor but he didn't seem too concerned about it. I hated when she would do it in the car, because i would be driving and i would hear her choking and have to find somewhere to pull over and lift her up. But she did stop doing it after a while when I eventually went to ff and that seemed to work better. Not saying you should formula feed, I would ask your pediatrician what he/she thinks and go from there.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 3:35 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I think it is pretty normal, and i noticed with my daughter that she would nurse every 2-4 hours, and sometimes even though she was cranky and wanted the breast, she wasn't very hungry. So, she would end up drinking way more milk than her stomach could hold and would spit up a substantial amount of it.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 3:51 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• if it's after every meal you may want to talk to the doctor about acid reflux. Both of my son's had it and were much more content when given a little zantac a couple times a day. It stopped the spitting up completley
    Jjoneslagrange

Answer by Jjoneslagrange at 3:59 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Mine did after EVERY feeding. I can't tell you how many bib's and outfits we went through every day. It does sound like it could be reflux, I think my son had it, but he never acted like it bothered him, as in hurting... so I talked to the Dr and he said that is completely normal and to not worry about it.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 5:22 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Sometimes babies will overfeed because they don't get enough of the high fat hindmilk. This is the milk that makes them feel full and fall asleep. The recommendation for most women is to finish the first breast first. That means only use one breast a feeding. The baby should nurse on that breast and get that high fat milk and then next feeding use the other breast.

If you use both breasts the baby may get too much milk and may not even make it to that high fat milk on the second breast. The baby is fussy, spitting up, and doesn't even seem full.

Remember doctors and nurses are not trained in breastfeeding. If you want to talk to someone about breastfeeding call La Leche League or a lactation consultant.

www.kellymom.com is a good breastfeeding website.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:19 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Could be reflux. Also, might wanna look into Pyloric Stenosis. My 1st son had this. It caused Projectile Vomiting. It was horrible, he came out in a flow and out of his nose too. Sounds just like you are describing, as in the way my son did. Read up about it. My son started all this at 3 weeks also. Drs said it was reflux, but after formula change, and meds.. nothing help him but surgery. Asa was also gaining weight too... Good luck.. hope everything works out to the good!
    AsaGarrett

Answer by AsaGarrett at 11:41 PM on Jan. 11, 2010