SHOULD I TAKE A TEST OR WAIT IT OUT?

I had my son on sept 28th and i have no gotten my period back. We have had sex twice. I am breastfeeding. With my first son i got my period back when he was about 6 or 7 weeks old but he was formula fed ... I am not asking "could i be pregannt" because i know their is a possibilty because i had sex DUH! but i am just asking if it is normal with breasfeeding for my period to take awhile to come back.. i have no had any other symptoms but i didnt with my last baby either...

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 3:09 PM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• For some people breastfeeding will ward off their menstrual cycle, others it will not. I'm one that breastfeeding does nothing for. You could always test just for peace of mind, it's not outside the realm of possibility.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 3:12 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Yes, it's very normal. Lots of women don't get their period back until they stop nursing, others when they start supplementing with solid foods or baby starts sleeping through the night (when they're not nursing full-time, around the clock in other words), others within the first couple of months regardless. It's all normal with breastfeeding. Breastfeeding can delay ovulation, which in most cases also delays the recurrence of a period, and can also cause your periods to be irregular when they do start back again. If you're not having any symptoms, I wouldn't worry about it, you're probably not pregnant.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:14 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Your period could be delayed because of the breastfeeding. I have a few friends that did not get theirs back until they started weaning. But it isn't always that way for all women. So it could go either way in your case since you are BFing and you have been active without controceptives. It wouldn't hurt to take a test or two.... If your not you might think about talking to your Dr about a lose dose birth control pill if you aren't ready to add on.
    momof2cuteboys

Answer by momof2cuteboys at 3:14 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• For each of my babies, 3, I was without a period for a year cuz of breasfeeding. Each baby started on table foods at six months but continued to breastfeed afterwards.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 3:14 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I didn't get a period until my son was 7 or 8 months because I was breastfeeding. I found out well after I had him that breastfeeding will likely ward off your period. I went and had a test done I was so worried but that's when I found out the cause of the delay. You are extra fertile after you have a child but you also don't get a period when you breastfeed a lot of the time so with that 50/50 chance I would say go get a drug store test. You can get a false positive but I believe that is only for the first month or so after you give birth. Its all so confusing...

I would look for signs that you've experienced in the past with your pregnancies and if nothing don't worry about it but be careful you don't want to be the lady that pops out your kid at Walmart and never knew you were pregnant :0)
    1st_LadyD

Answer by 1st_LadyD at 3:17 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• My sister breast fed for a year and didn't get her period until a few months after she stopped nursing.
    annamarie221

Answer by annamarie221 at 4:17 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I had my baby on the same day as you did and I still haven't had my period yet either. I'm also breastfeeding, so yeah, I do believe breastfeeding could affect when your period starts.
    Mama2Mikey

Answer by Mama2Mikey at 4:21 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• While nursing mine didn't come back until the children were about 15 months old. Breastfeeding usually keeps things away until at least 6 months, but not for all. Oh and both my children were still nursing when I got my period back. Baby #1 weaned at 18 months and baby #2 is still going at 29 months.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:22 PM on Jan. 10, 2010