My daughter is only invited over to the in-laws when.....

my 2 year old niece is there. My DD use to spend alot of time with my in-laws but since my SIL had her baby it seems they keep her more. Which is fine but the last couple of times that they have invited my DD over, the niece was there. i don't know if I should take offense to this or not. MY SIL is in the process of moving so the in-laws are having to keep her but why then is my DD invited over??? Am i reading into this wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:31 PM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Relationships

• It sounds like you are being a bit overly sensitive.
    Anonymous

• I think that it is nice that your daughter gets to see and know her cousin.
    momtoeight

Answer by momtoeight at 3:40 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• put a positive spin on it... at least you want your dd over at your inlaws... I would be happy as can be if my inlaws never asked to keep my kids.
    Anonymous

• well how old is your dd compared to your nieces age? It is nice for cousins to see each other. This way they get memories of their grandkids together. Do they treat your daughter lovingly and affectionately? If so don't worry about it.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 3:50 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• They are probably inviting her over so your niece has someone to play with... there is nothing wrong with that. I would be offended if they weren't inviting your child over at all and only watched your niece.
    ProudMom_5703

Answer by ProudMom_5703 at 3:55 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• i was going to say the same thing.. its probably so the little ones can keep each other company.. are the grandparents really old? or do they tire quickly? they probably want to see the kids, but want them to be busy also.
    maybebaby83

Answer by maybebaby83 at 4:14 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• yeah I like the keep each other company idea

Answer by admckenzie at 4:34 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• They probably do that so the kids can play together and keep each other company. I know when my mil used to go and visit her daughter (that lived 3hr away) mil would always take my youngest niece with to visit with her cousin (as the 2 kids were 'only' and it gave them a chance to play together).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 5:03 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• My MIL did the same thing. She never wanted to see my dd until she had a little cousin that my SIL doesn't want to ever watch. So, MIL would take "the girls" for fun trips and whatever. We allowed it a few times. Then, we noticed she took our niece frequently but not our girl. She never took just our girl. She only took our dd so our niece would have someone to play with and MIL wouldn't have to do anything. DD is 2 years older than her cousin. We did not like that one bit. Then, we had a son, and MIL would not take him ever. So, we stopped that shit. If MIL wanted to see her grandkids, she could see them both or not at all. Her solution was to bring the cousin over to our house and then fall asleep on the couch. Gah. Yeah, so we moved far away. Yes, our daughter did notice the difference in the amount of time she and her cousin spent with gramma. Any time we asked her to come see our kids, she was busy. Screw That.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:41 AM on Jan. 11, 2010