Is it normal to have no appetite early in pregnancy?

In my 2 previous pregnancies I had a very "healthy" appetite! ;) With this one, I have less of an appetite than I did before I got pregnant. I have to remind myself to eat and then force myself to eat it. I don't have any morning sickness and feel great otherwise, I didn't know if anyone else has experienced the same thing.

Linders623

Asked by Linders623 at 3:32 PM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Not all pregnancies are the same. I had little to no morning sickness with my first son then towards the last trimester i could barely keep anything down. With my twins I was running to the bathroom every twenty minutes and begged my supervisor to let me go home...no luck. With my third pregnancy i didn't want to smell or look at food, let alone eat it. Then with my other kids i had the usual morning sickness the first trimester.

I think as long as you are eating something, staying hydrated I wouldn't worry about it too much. Stick to crackers and peanut butter(or something light like that), a fruit of some sort and maybe roll up a slice of lunch meat or two...whenever you can. Just because we are pregnant and feel big as a horse doesn't mean we have to eat like one. LOL Every woman's body is different and so is each pregnancy.

You can call your doctor and let them know your concerns but chances are this is normal.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 3:41 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• With my 4th pregnancy, I either felt nauseous or had no appetite - I ate only what sounded good, when it sounded good - my diet consisted mainly of fresh fruits & milk! I ended up losing around 15 lbs in the first few months, then plateauing, then gained just a few back at the end. With my 5th, it was the same, except I kept losing - almost 40 lbs during the whole 9 months, but I was healthy, my midwife wasn't worried, and I had a very healthy 9lb2oz baby! So no, there's nothing wrong with it, while some may not think it's normal, there's no harm - eat what you can when you can but don't worry if you can't!
    Anonymous

• yes, well that's been my experience with both of my pregnancies. i hardly wanted to eat at all at the beginning of this pregnancy. just nothing sounded good, and lots of stuff made me nauseous.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 3:57 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I had no appetite with my second, for the whole 9 months. Everything turned out fine, healthy, full-term pregnancy, healthy baby, all that nice stuff. And because I only gained about 15 pounds, it ended up being a nice weight-loss program, lol.

As long as the baby's growing, everything should be fine. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:59 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• with this one i did have one but when i hit 7 weeks i had morning sickness bad where i could keep nothing down but before that i did care to eat and had to make myself
    Anonymous