What kind of martial arts would be most appropriate for my son?

My son nearly 6 and we are having some issues with him, I asked another question and upon reviewing answers and searching for activities others were using for their kids think Martial Arts may be a good thing to at least try.

My son needs an outlet for anger but he needs structure as well. He gets bored and resorts to rule-breaking to get attention, this problem has come on since his little brother was born and we thought it was a phase but he can't seem to get out of it. We enrolled him in football and it improved his behavior immensely, but football is over now and he is going back to his old ways.

I don't want the focus to be beating another kid up but I do want something to focus his mind and channel his energy. I know very little about Martial Arts but I do know there are different kinds and I was wondering what branch(es) would best for him.

Daylex

Asked by Daylex at 3:50 PM on Jan. 10, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Kung Fu. I asked Dh cuz he knows this stuff. If he has the right teacher Dh said its more about learning about your self than fighting.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 5:25 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• i agree with SalemWitchChild. if you have the right teacher, it will be more about the learning then the fighting. My son takes Japanese Ju-jitsu, and loves it.

northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 3:06 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Where we live I could only find mixed martial arts anyway, we are going there this evening to find out if it is what we are looking for. Thanks!
    Daylex

Answer by Daylex at 2:05 PM on Jan. 12, 2010