Screaming 8 month old...help!!

Hi everyone!! its been quite a while since i been on here!! (no computer)
now i can ask this question..
Alexis is now 8 months old..almost 9 months..She sleeps in bed with me and daddy, and everytime we put her in her crib she screams bloody murder...she hates her crib..i dont know how to keep her in her crib with out giving in and letting her sleep with us..

id feel like a bad mom just letting her cry..sometimes she cries so hard that her snots pour into her mouth and i feel aweful..

ive been told to just let her cry it out...

what should i do??? let her cry it out? or is there a better way to get her to slep in her crib??? :(

MissKellee

Asked by MissKellee at 3:53 PM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• maybe try finding some things like a lullaby/motion machine, or one of those bubble fish tanks that connect to the crib. Does she have a favorite blanket or stuffed animal? Lay her down and stay with her, and rub her head and forehead or back to soothe her. Night light perhaps. You may have to try some things to direct her attention away from you leaving the room. But, even after you have left and she realizes, you are going to have to let her cry it out some. They say to give them 10 mins, go in, soothe and comfort, but don't pick her up. Leave again and try again.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 3:58 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Let her sleep with you, she is letting you know how important it is to her.

Throughout time babies have nursed and slept next to their mothers. It is normal for babies to do so and to wake and nurse at night until they are around 3. Babies cry when they aren't with their mothers because it is a survival mechanism. If babies got away from their mothers they could die.

Still in most places in the world babies sleep with their mothers and the mothers. Your baby's brain doesn't know that for the last 100 years babies in the US have been put in cribs and expected to be happy about it and sleep through the night.

Your baby will be able to sleep on her own when she is mature enough.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:04 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• my son does the same thing omg i thought ni was alone we will get through it together he is so tierd now im trying to leyt him cry it out but it is hard we give in too you are not alone
    momma051209

Answer by momma051209 at 4:05 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• eight months is a bad time to start that. She is going through the separation anxiety and forcing the issue now will just make it worse. Is there a reason this has to be done now? Sleeping alone is scary and lonely. It might help to put the crib in your room first and get warm sheets like organic cotton or flannel -- regular sheets are very cold and not comfortable. I would wait a month or two and try again. I personally would never CIO. She is still a baby.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:09 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Well, do you have a problem with her still sleeping with you? If not, I'd just continue. They WON'T sleep with you forever. I wouldn't let her CIO, but that's just me. Do you put her to sleep and then put her in her crib, and that's when she cries? Or are you putting her in there awake and she cries? If you're putting her in the crib while awake, you may want to try moving her to crib once she's out cold. IME, cosleeping worked out well. It's NOT for everyone though.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:25 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Try putting a shirt of yours in with her...sometimes it's just your scent they're attached to...(not to say your baby isn't attached to you). I put my baby's blanket over my pillowcase and sleep on it...the next night I'll put it over him or have him lay on it. Hope this helps!
    AmyC2786

Answer by AmyC2786 at 11:28 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• my son does the same thing and he is almost 9 months old too. He can be sound asleep, and I put him in his crib within 5 mins he is awake and unhappy. I have found that the only way right now for either of us to get any sleep is for him to sleep with me and his daddy. He has always been this way since he was born. I know one day he will sleep in his bed alone you dont see any teenagers around still wanting to sleep in their perents beds =) its just a stage they will grow out of.
    Newmommys101

Answer by Newmommys101 at 3:27 PM on Jan. 11, 2010