Pagans, witches, etc.

Do you practice with your children? Do you do spells with them? Are there any activities you don't do with them? When you contact spirits do you do that with your children in the house.

I am not here to bash. I was just curious if your children are apart of your beliefs and if there is ever a time you try and protect them from anything that might get out of control.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:25 PM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• OP here: Some witches practice divination. I was wondering if they do that with their children or alone.
    Anonymous

• I used to consider myself pagan. I have now converted to a Christian church. I don't think u really understand what pagans/witches believe to ask this question. there would be nothing wrong w/ sharing being a witch w/ u're child
    Anonymous

• I don't believe in raising children to practice any religion. Faith is a choice not a birthright. That said, if she wishes to join me I see no reason not to allow it. My DD enjoys "Playing" with my tarot cards. She knows what they are for and as long as she doesn't loose any I don't mind her handling them.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 4:44 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I let my children know what I believe and so does my dh. But we don't tell them that they have to believe the way we do. We let them know that different people believe different things and that it is ok. Since I don't actually do spells or practice magic, that's not a problem.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 4:53 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Ours have always been asked it they wanted to participate in rituals and divination. Most of the time they wanted to be a part of the ritual and when they didn't want to it was no big deal. As for divination my youngest has always "played" with my tarot cards too. We got him a gummy bear deck and now he is better at readings than I am.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 5:11 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• My Dh is Christian, I am Pagan. We do not believe in raising our children in either religion. We believe that religion is a choice only they can make. So, I do not include them in my rituals or any other part of my religious practice. However, they are in the home and in some cases in the room. There is nothing that can "get out of hand" as you put it. And there is no more to protect them from when I am conducting rituals or practicing divination or magick than there is when people take their kids to church or prayer circles... I think you may be confusing fictional witchcraft and the real thing! If they want to practice with me once they are older, I would never tell them no. There isn't anything I would allow them to be a part of. The only thing I could see being cautious about would be herbs, knives or anything with flame. But it's not their magickal properties that make them dangerous!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:21 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• do you honestly believe pagans conduct sacrifces or something? wth kind of a question is this anyway.
    Anonymous

• Anon :45 i'm lost by your response...she said she isn't bashing just asking an honest question. I'm trying to find a post here where anyone mentioned sacrifices.

I think some people automatically assume the word "ritual" coincides with "making a sacrifice". I just want to clarify that point, for those who may be wondering....I give food offerings to Mother Earth burying them usually in the form of wine, cakes or feeding the birds every day. There is no "Sacrificing" in my rituals at all.

to answer the OP's question, i do involve my children. They get very excited about doing ritual. We thank the Goddess, honor the sun God at Yule, and they love to ring the bells and help assist me lighting candles. It's a wonderful experience. When my son lost his shoes we went around the house chanting a little spell i found in a book a long time ago, found his shoes. But full blown spells /casting circles when they are older we'll do.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 6:14 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I do not dictate what mine believe in. If my oldest wants to take part (she's 15), then I allow it. But my youngest is too young to understand what we're doing, so we just offer things for little ones to do, which is mostly prayer and making trinkets for the Gods, or helping cook a meal. Youngest is 4. If they do not want to take part in anything, that's fine too. I don't think it hurts them anymore than other religious groups practicing their beliefs with their kids.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 6:39 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• My oldest is 5 1/2 and my youngest is nearly 2. I do not include them in anything I do. We may talk about various things when a topic is brought up but thats about it.

When they are older and can understand better and if they ask...then they can do workings with me. Until then, I will do them by myself or with my husband after they are in bed(which makes it easier to concentrate too LOL).
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 6:53 PM on Jan. 10, 2010