Question about TMJ

I have gone to the Dr like 2 times for ear pain, and both times he has looked in my ear and said your ears look great. Well after a few weeks of wondering what was going on with my ear I went to Immediate Care. The Dr there looked in my ear again and said everything looks good. He then pushed the ear thing to the side and said does that hurt and I said yes and he says well thats your jaw. So then he took his fingers and put them on my jaw infront of my ears and my jaw was popping and clicking like crazy. He told me it was TMJ, he suggested a night guard from the dentist. He also said that normally they would do an antinflamitory which I can't take cause I'm pregnant. So he told me to grin and bear it...nice! He also looked at my teeth and said you grind your teeth at night too, dont you? My question is, does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with TMJ while pregnant, since Tylenol doesnt do much. Thanks!

MommytoBe987

Asked by MommytoBe987 at 4:26 PM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Health

• The doctor is completely right about the night guard it will do wonders, did he also show you how to massage your jaw to help with the pain? I would try to explain it but I am not sure I could. I could tell you some scary stories about my TMJ my doctor wants me to have surgery but I am not in the mood to have my jaw wired shut lol so i am just careful.

I can tell you that stress will make it worse because you tense up alot when you are stressed then as you start to relax the TMJ will cause your jaw to lock, this happened to me after my 2nd baby was born my jaw was locked for 2 weeks and it sucked. I have also dislocated it because I overly extended my jaw that was really no fun at all.

try not to over extend and reduce strees and wear the night guard to get you through :)
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 4:33 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Heat and massage. You can make a rice sock and heat it in the microwave and it will provide moist heat. After 10-15 min. you can massage in circles. Then do the other side. You can prop the rice socks with pillows and do both sides at the same time. You can do several times a day and before bed.

The easiest way to make a rice sock is to buy very long men's tube socks. Fill about half way with uncooked rice. Tie the top in a knot.

You don't have to go to the dentist for the night guard. You can buy one that you heat and then mold to your teeth. Be careful not to open your mouth very wide or hold open for a long time.

There is lots of info online about coping with TMJ.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:35 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• The night guard my help for in the future. For now, there's not really anything you can take so it is just going to hurt until you give it a few nights without grinding or clinching so hard. Depending on what stage of pregnancy you are in, some doctors will prescribe percoset - like a small dose of 5 mg.
    Some people will freak when they read that, but I know several ladies who it was prescibed to for tooth aches and such while they were pregos and mommy and baby are fine. They also give it to you in the hospital after the baby, even if you are breastfeeding.
    My TMJ only flares up when I am stressed. Try things to relieve the stress- take walks, clean, buy stuff for the baby, talk about what is bothering you to a good friend or hubby.

pat7879

Answer by pat7879 at 4:40 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• in addition to the other stress reducing advice, and the nightguard...a chiropractor can help with the pain too (not as easy as drugs, but better for the baby and you!)!

good luck! sorry about the pain :(
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:51 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Yeah...I just had surgery for an underbite and TMJ. I know the feeling it sucks. Except my ear didnt hurt. My jaws just hurt all the time. Uhm as for trying to get the pain down...definitely use the night guard. It really will work. Grinding your teeth is really bad for your jaw and creates a lot of pain when you wake up. So try that and it'll help a lot! GL
    Anonymous

• Unfortunatly, during pregnancy ixne on the meds. Get a night guard so you dont grind at night. There ase excercizes you can do (either find online or ask the doc for print-outs) If you have a man that will massage the ear/jaw area that is inflamed. My husband loves when I do that! Hang in there.
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 1:56 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• My chiropractor adjusts my tmj. it helps tremendously.
    ashleymb

Answer by ashleymb at 12:38 AM on Feb. 5, 2010