Has anyone noticed the change in horror movies?

I was noticing the commercials on TV for the newer horror movies and they seem so much more evil than the ones from 20 years ago. They are more technologically realistic but they are also more violent, and scary.

Why have they gotten worse? Is it good for directors to push all the boundaries? Do you enjoy watching them? Do you feel like they influence psychos?

What do you prefer supernatural or slasher themes?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:32 PM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes they have and I am not surprised either. I do not watch horror, it is sickening !
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:04 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• People like all the digital effects that are possible now. I'm more of a storyline person so I just can't get into most of these. My husbands loves a lot of them though.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 4:35 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• They bring demons into your life.
    Anonymous

• I'm a huge horror flick fan but you are right about how they have changed. There are some that I had to turn off and have refused to watch because of the nature. I think there is a big difference between a horror and creating real life themes about torchering people.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 4:35 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• OP: Don't you think the movies like SAW are giving ideas to real life murderers?
    Anonymous

• They have not gotten worse. Go rent Blood Sucking Freaks or Make Them Die Slowly. The effects may be more sparkly, but the gore has always been there. And SAW is not giving ideas to real life murderers, but it is inspired by several real life murderers. Art imitates life.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:41 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• They're experimenting with new ideas and technologies. While I do find a lot of horror movies repulsive (Saw, Hostel, etc), I do LOVE me some psychological horror (Seven, 1408, Rosemary's Baby, etc). For every brilliant horror movie, there's going to be something that's 10x worse. If you look back to horror movies in the 70's, we didn't have anything else to gauge that horror on, did we? People were just as taken aback by the horror in that time as they are with the movies nowadays. It must be therapeutic in a way for some filmmakers to make the movies they do. It's like they're letting their "inner demons" out. They're able to tell darker, scarier stories and constantly push the envelope with all the CGI technology available today.

And I do not think the media is the only deciding factor in creating killers. Not at all.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:43 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I think anyone who goes out and does horrible things will do it regardless of the movies or music. I think people always want to place blame on SOMETHING and entertainment is an easy thing to blame.

I prefer more supernatural kind of movies vs gorefests...though I used to LOVE them as a teen...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 4:48 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I didn't care for SAW movies. They really didn't bother me that much. I think it has to do with the psychological background. The chosen ones were people that had done bad things to other people or to themselves. I think all in all, the theme was for the main guy to show these people that life is worth living and to test them to see how far they would go to live. Hostel was gross and I turned that movie off. I love the paranormal stuff much better.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 4:55 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Yeah, I couldn't get through the first "killing" in Hostel. I turned it off when the dude's feet got lopped off. It was just too nasty for me. It's just an escape for some people, they like living out their darkest fantasies through the movies.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:58 PM on Jan. 10, 2010