how do u keep bread fresh??

everytime i buy bread i look at the date and its fine and good for a week.. needless to say after 3 days its stale.. and its even closed tight.. so maybe im doing something wrong.. how do u keep your bread fresh...for at least a week lol...

tabbys4

Asked by tabbys4 at 4:33 PM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I've not had that problem so can't help there but don't throw it away. Put it in the freezer and/or use it for toast. When I buy a new loaf I put the old one in the freezer so I have some if I run out and the weather is too bad to go out and get more. brrrr, like now!

Answer by admckenzie at 4:36 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Now you have me thinking. What if you put it in the refrigerator? Would that help? What if you put some rice in the bag with it?

Answer by admckenzie at 4:37 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• i always freeze extra bread. and the loaf im on i keep in the refrigerator..
    maybebaby83

Answer by maybebaby83 at 4:39 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Ok I just read online that putting it in the frig makes it go stale faster but I also read to put it in a cloth bag not a plastic bag. Now who has cloth bread bags laying around?

Answer by admckenzie at 4:40 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• thats a great idea.. i will have to try all that lol..my dh wants bread i buy it next thing u know hes not useing it i ask he says its stale already..what??? sure enough it is. now i hate buying bread. lol.. but were a bread family. i even tried a bread holder ( forget the name ) its just to store bread and sure enough.....stale in a few days..( 3 )
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 4:42 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I put my bread in the refrigerator.

Answer by louise2 at 4:42 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• lol....admckenzie thats funny...
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 4:43 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I use a twist tie, not those plastic clips and I keep my bread in a bread box. I know, sounds so old fashioned! LOL I wouldn't even have mine if my mom hadn't brought it with her when she moved in. I actually have not had a loaf go stale since having the box. I have had people not eat it fast enough because they aren't smart enough to look in the box LOL and I'm constantly putting it in the box off the counter where people leave the bread
    Anonymous

• BREAD BOX! thats the word i was thinking of! that didnt work for me but it looked nice on the counter...
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 4:48 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• IDK about the newer ones, but mine is old LOL probably older than me :D but it's lined with wood and the outside is metal. I don't know if the wood makes a difference or not. and it's got a hinged door, not the roll top kind
    Anonymous