is 5 to young for a cell phone?

There is always someone there for my daughter when she gets off the school bus, but if there was ever an occasion where someone was late getting to the bus stop or if there was an emergency of any kind I want my daughter to be able to contact me. There is a cell phone where you can only dial 911 and 4 other phone numbers and its prepaid. Do you think this is a good idea or do you think she is to young?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:42 PM on Jan. 10, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• maybe one of those ones meant for kids that you can program like 3 numbers to, but not a real one!
    Anonymous

• i think its a good idea but tell her its a privlage and that in order to keep it she has to do good in school and stuff
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 4:44 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Even if she could call you,does she have the skills to look after herself until someone gets there?IMO she is too little yet for a phone.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 4:46 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• To me 5 is to young for a cell phone. But it is your money. If you want to give your 5 year old a phone, go right ahead. She will probably loose it though.

Answer by louise2 at 4:46 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• theres that kids phone called firefly is that what your talken about?? u can program 911, mom, dad, fire department. but i agree xplaine its NOT a toy and what it is used for and why..good luck xo
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 4:47 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• there used to be a firefly phone. its got a button for mom and dad, and i think a butotn or emergency, but im not sure. when my daughter starts school, i will get her one. there is also a disney phone, you can set the time when you are allowed to make calls and such.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 4:47 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• wow i just re-read what i wrote..sorry i hope you can understand that lol.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 4:48 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Wow. It never occurred to me to allow a 5 year old to have any sort of cell phone. What did we do when we were that age? Wow.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 4:49 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Im sorry that's a funny that you had to ask that because in my opinion at five you could get her the phone to call and she still could forget or not us it in case of an emergancy .
    waitin4u

Answer by waitin4u at 5:04 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Nope, that is way too young.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:09 PM on Jan. 10, 2010