How can I stop my 9 month old from biting during breastfeeding?

I have tried taking the breast away from him when he bites, I tell him it hurts mama- he laughs and seems to think it is funny. I really wantd to breastfeed for a year but I am thinking I should wean him because it is becoming really painfull.

katiebug29

Asked by katiebug29 at 5:11 PM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you gently pull the baby closer to the breast he won't be able to breathe and will open his mouth and let go of the nipple. He will learn not to bite without negative things happening to him like yelling no or hurting him in some way.

You can't explain anything to such a young baby.

Pump? The idea is to breastFEED for at least a year or at least 2 years (the World Health Organization). To get all the benefits of breastfeeding the baby has to feed at the breast. Breastfeeding mothers don't need to own a pump and may never need to pump. I nursed 3 babies each over 2 years without owning a pump. None of them ever had a bottle.

www.kellymom.com is a good breastfeeding website.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:25 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I used to gently flick his cheek with my middle finger coming out from behind my thumb plus sometimes I kept a finger close to my nipple to immediately disengage from nursing when bitten. If baby is older into a year or toddlerhood maybe he's saying he's ready to wean?
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 5:14 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• pump
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 5:15 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I agree with lfl - I used to flick him in the lip, enough that he didn't like it. I had to stop breast feeding and pump around 10 months. There is nothing wrong with that, they will still be getting breast milk!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 5:18 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Answered at 5:25 PM on Jan. 10, 2010 by: Gailll If you gently pull the baby closer to the breast he won't be able to breathe and will open his mouth and let go of the nipple. He will learn not to bite without negative things happening to him like yelling no or hurting him in some way.

Are you flippin' serious?? Depriving your baby of OXYGEN? How ignorant is this? Oh yes, it is much better to teach them that you can KILL them rather than teaching them that biting is unacceptable. This is one of the most ignorant thing I have ever seen or read!

RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 5:31 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Answered at 5:25 PM on Jan. 10, 2010 by: Gailll
    Pump? The idea is to breastFEED. To get all the benefits of breastfeeding the baby has to feed at the breast. Breastfeeding mothers don't need to own a pump and may never need to pump. I nursed 3 babies each over 2 years without owning a pump. None of them ever had a bottle.

Well good for you! There is NOTHING wrong with pumping and it has NOTHING to do with feeding at the breast or from a bottle. It is people like you that makes mothers that choose to formula feed feel horrible.

RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 5:32 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• "pull baby TOWARD you, very close to your breast. This will make it a little hard to breathe, so baby will automatically let go to open her mouth more and uncover her nose to breathe."

Direct quote from the website kellymom. You will find the same thing on the La Leche League website. If RutterMama was a LLL Leader or lactation consultant she would know this is standard advice and where to find it.

You have to feed at the breast to get all the benefits of breastfeeding. Its not just about human milk. For example the longer a baby is breastfed the more it benefits oral and speech development. Dentists can look in children's mouths that have been breastfed a long time and tell by the shape of the roof of the mouth. The way the tongue moves makes children have fewer speech problems and need speech therapy less. There are many differences.

It is also about mothering at the breast.

I can't make anyone feel anything.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:50 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• OP - pay no mind to Gailll. She obviously thinks she is God's gift to mothering...
    Smothering your child is NOT going to teach them to not bite you. There is NOTHING wrong with pumping and using a bottle to get the breast milk to your baby. It has nothing to do with 'mothering' .
    For your information - I am an avid reader and researcher. I have NEVER seen ANYTHING about smothering your child being a good thing!
    And feeding your child at the breast for a LONG TIME (ie: over 2 years) is inhibiting for them and has NO benefits for speech development~
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 6:03 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Stop breastfeeding... why does he need to be on the boob when you can pump and he can drink from a bottle. Not trying to be rude but after a certain amount of time, it is for your security/own reasons and has nothing to do with being for the babies benefit.
    Anonymous

• Honestly, Gailll's advice is right on target. These are commonly recommended by IBCLC's and LLL leaders. There are times that I don't agree with what Gaill has to say, but there are also a lot of times that she's got the right information. As to what she says about direct nursing being better then pumping, technically, it IS true. This isn't saying that pumping is bad to do or anything, but when baby nurses AT breast, their saliva meets sort of "receptors" in the breast, which tell the brain, and then breast what that specific baby/child needs at that particular time. If you pump, which is fine, the milk isn't as specifically tailored to that particular baby's needs at that moment in time.  Nursing for 2 yrs at more is NOT inhibiting for them, and does have benefits.  I don't know if it still benefits speech at that point in time, but I believe it does for my son who is speech delayed. 

Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:17 PM on Jan. 10, 2010