Do You Blame Those Who Are Overweight?

Generally speaking, do you feel that overweight people are responsible for them being overweight?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:58 PM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Health

• Answered at 6:07 PM on Jan. 10, 2010 by: Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Some people have medical problems that prevents them from losing weight...OR they are taking medication that makes them gain weight. So my answer would be No. I do not blame anyone.

Most medical problems are usually a result of poor lifestyle habits. I think that and taking medication is used far too much as an excuse and barrier to hide behind. For example in terms of hyperthyroidism...this is usually a SYMPTOM of an more presing underlying issue and for many people this can be completely overcome. Not to mention it doesn't mean that you should use it as an excuse for being fat either...because being fat is just going to lead to more health issues.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 6:19 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• yes
    Anonymous

•  I don't "blame" anyone that is over weight. Blaming people doesn't motivate them. Some are over weight because of poor eating habits and some are over weight because of medical reasons and simply genetics.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 6:00 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Yes and No. Its mostly cultural. I'm overweight and there certainly is a trend with the females of our family. Were skinny until adulthood. It could be genetic, could just be how we've learned to cook/eat so much food in our family. Certainly a lack of activity in our family contributes to it.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 6:00 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• The majority, yes. It CAN be prevented!!
    Anonymous

• Well I lost 77 pounds and I know my late night eating contributed to my weight gain.
    Yellowrose9

Answer by Yellowrose9 at 6:00 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• For the most part yes...however i do agree that genetics plays a very big role, and it would be crazy to assume that everyone just overeats...i do know that there are health issues that can cause obesity...but...yea i think alot of people who are over weight just need to eat better or exercise!! Myself included!
    Anonymous

• My husband is obese. He knows it. And he knows its because of how he eats. Not a big secret. Most fat people know how they got fat!
    Anonymous

• sometimes.
    Anonymous

• yes and no... not the ones that are your average overweight... but the morbidly obese that get the TV shows whining about being fat and no Dr. will help them because they have done nothing but lay in bed and stuff themselves for years... yes I blame them.
    Anonymous