Do you consider parents that allow their children to over indulge and has lack of exercise quilty of child neglect?

Another question made me think of this. Is allowing your children to overeat and in turn have medical conditions because of over indulgence and lack of exercise are form of child neglect? Say the the child had diabetes simply due to the previous mentioned things and only had to change their eating habits and exercise habit to rid the diabetes. Is this negligence on the parents behalf?

ronjwake

Asked by ronjwake at 6:16 PM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Yes I believe it is. We are actually dealing with this in a way. My stepdaughter is overweight. And it's because her Bio mom doesn't feed her right and she is encouraged to not exercise. I find it sad when a kid wears a bigger size than her brother who is 4 years older than her. She doesn't have diabetes but if she goes outside and runs around for 5 minutes she's out of breath. The most we can really do about it though is talk to Bio mom because we only get her twice a year because she lives 750 miles from us. We've been talking to her mom but she says there is nothing wrong with being overweight and that more people should realize that it's okay to be fat. Now I think that's a form of neglect.

Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 7:21 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Yeah it's our responsibility to teach and show our children what is right and what is wrong. Most children don't understand the impact of what eating 10 cookies a day can do to you. As a parent we need to put our feet down and say enough is enough no more sweet, no more fatty foods for the day. Too many parents use food as a quiet down technique and while it's ok in moderation it can be harmful if we as parents do not pay attention to the children.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 6:19 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• YES
    lori232

Answer by lori232 at 6:22 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Yes.. We have control over what they eat so in turn we should help them make healthy choices. Our boys are proud that they know what's healthy and what's not.. They don't ask for Mcdonalds or any other fast food except for subway, and that's only once in a while.. I'm very proud of how we have taught them, and how great they are about what they eat and don't eat..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 6:25 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• yes... It is are job to teach our children how to healthy.
    Crystal321

Answer by Crystal321 at 6:27 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Yep.... I dont let my kids over eat and there healthy. I dont think people in general should over eat ever.. I dont eat just because and i dont want my kids thinking its okay to eat for no damn reason unless there hungry and i know when there hungry. any parent who lets there kid over eat while there heavy and have medical issues when there own doctor said you cant let them do this blah blah and they are not listening to me is NEGLECT
    aeroslove

Answer by aeroslove at 6:30 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• It is so hard to decide what to call neglect and abuse in our society. There are things that we just accept that are neglect that there is no way we could enforce. For example, smoking during pregnancy is worse than using cocaine. Over one forth of Indiana pregnant women admit to smoking in pregnancy and over one half live in a home where someone smokes. If you take away the cocaine babies you would have to take away the tobacco babies. You can't take away half the babies in Indiana.

If we consider something neglect what do we do about it?

Formula fed babies have an increase of medical conditions including RSV, menningitis, pneumonia, ear infections, leukemia, diabetes, and a host of adult of health problems including obesity. Is that neglect? The "evidence is overwhelming" according to the American Academy of Pediatrics.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:31 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Ugh...I can see where this is going.....
    legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 6:36 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Once again, a post that started out as one thing has gone way into left field...

ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 6:43 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• No.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 6:49 PM on Jan. 10, 2010