How do you deal with a picky eater?

My son is 14 months old and has been doing table food for 2 months now... at daycare he eats all of his lunch but at home he just throws fits if it isn't mac and cheese, hotdogs, or bread... any suggestions?

Lcbr900rr

Asked by Lcbr900rr at 6:49 PM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He will get hungry and eat what is given to him if that is all you offer. My twins are 17 months old and if they wouldn't eat what I gave them for lunch at home, they got it for dinner. Oddly enough they aren't picky anymore lol.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 6:51 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I would never give a 14 mo hot dogs. I wouldn't eat a hot dog. If you must give hot dogs make sure they are cut up, not circles, because they are a choking hazard.

I'm not sure what you mean by doing table food for 2 months. Babies can start right off with regular food at 6 months. There is never any reason to feed baby food, cereal, puffs, ect. That may be the problem. Maybe you could go back and start solids like you would for a baby with banana, sweet potato, and avocado. Then add meat and whole grain cereals and bread.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:00 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• It might sound mean... but if they won't eat what they are given... they don't eat. They are plenty old enough to learn that the world doesn't revolve around them. My son is almost 3 and we do this with him. Surprisingly, when he gets hungry enough... he eats what he is served. Children will NOT starve if you offer food to them. Just don't give in.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 7:02 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I agree with previous poster. He is a picky eater becasue you let him be. He won't be picky if he knows he eats what you give him or goes hungry.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 7:05 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Gailll, can't you ever be nice? It's none of your business if she feeds her kid hot dogs and that wasn't the question.
    Anonymous

• Gailll, not everyone starts solids at 6 months there genius.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 7:07 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• If you let him be a picky eater he will. You have to introduce a child to food in order for them to eat it. If you put nuggets, rice and peas on the plate eventually he will taste them. Try looking at the daycare menu to see what he is eating. If he is eating it there then he is just playing you.
    My daughter never did it because I didnt give her a chance. What I cook is what she eats. She is 2 and she eats whatever I put in her face.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like he or she is not a picky eater if they eat everything at daycare. Sorry mom, but it sounds like they have learned to be picky with you because you give in and give them what they want to eat. Stop, dinner is dinner and thats it, if he or she doesnt eat it then save it for a little while longer and when they are hungry again bring it back out. Don't fix anything else. He or she will not starve if they miss a few meals.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:38 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

I agree with this. Gailll is a very rude and condescending person. I feel for her sons, dil and grand child.

In my home if my child will not eat what is served they are allowed to leave the table and will get nothing to eat until next meal time. They learn eventually.
    Anonymous