Is this normal?

My 13 week old lab pup sometimes has a little bit of blood in his stools.. He also started having softer stools too. I am worried, but he seems to be completely fine. He has been de-wormed and his first shots. I think this may possibly just be normal. Or at least I am hoping! Thanks for your input!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:00 PM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Pets

• I would be concerned about worms. Sometimes it can take more than one kind medicine or more than one treatment. They can get reinfected from stool in the yard or park.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:03 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I say bring him in. Blood in the urine is saying something is not right.
    Anonymous

• OP here;

It's not in his urine it is in his poop, and it is only a little bit, he's not passing blood clots or anything. I have been checking his poop also for worms and nothing! I am going to call the vet tomorrow though thanks.
    Anonymous

• OP here again.

He has never had worms either. He just had to be de-wormed since he is a puppy.
    Anonymous

• It could be a sign of parasites.. It's a good idea to take him to the vet.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 7:13 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Puppies generally need to be dewormed at LEAST 2 times.. one right after the other .... sometimes all the parasites dont die off with the first round of dewormer.. I would def. take him to the vet and have them run a fecal.. if your worried about money.. alot of vets will just do the fecal without the dog.. call ahead of time and ask. just collect a fresh stool yourself and bring it to them if they say its okay
    maybebaby83

Answer by maybebaby83 at 7:56 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Most likely worms. I worm mine 3 times as pups.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:54 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• If he has only had his 1st set of shots and is having Loose stool with blood I would be worried that is could be an early sign of Parvo. Usually with parvo you see the pup is lethargic and also vomiting. I would contact your vet like you said and they will probably have you come in even if it is just for an exam. GL
    staciaw

Answer by staciaw at 8:58 PM on Jan. 10, 2010