is 15 months too early for potty training?

My daughter(averi) is about to be 15months...she is extremley intelligant..she walks and pretty much talks and runs all through the house...she loves playing in the bathroom...so the other day i got to thinking....if i put a potty chair in my bathroom maybe she might get curious and want to use it.... Am i pushing her? what do i do? is it too soon for potty training?

W.Michelle17

Asked by W.Michelle17 at 7:08 PM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It might not be a bad idea to get a potty to let her start getting used to it... but I wouldn't actually introduce 'potty training' to her yet. That is a bit young, despite what some people might make you think.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 7:11 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• My friend's sister was potty trained at 8 months. So I don't think it's too early
    Rachel12342

Answer by Rachel12342 at 7:17 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Answered at 7:17 PM on Jan. 10, 2010 by: Rachel12342
    My friend's sister was potty trained at 8 months. So I don't think it's too early

That's a load of crap! They don't have the ability to flex the muscles tight enough to 'hold it in' yet... not to mention being able to communicate needing to go at that early age or be able to get to the potty themselves! CRAP!!
    Anonymous

• I got the chair for my dd at around 14-15 mos but never actually pushed her or even asked her to pee in it. I simply set it there and would let her sit on it if she wanted too while keeping all her clothes on. She go to the point that everytime I went to the bathroom, she would sit down too! Then she started showing signs at 18 mos but completely stopped sitting on the potty! So I put it away until just last week (my dd is now just over 2 years old) and she knew exactly what to do. She's been potty training for a week now and doing great! I think it is a good thing to introduce and explain that ONE DAY they will use it, but don't expect anything. Showing her isn't pushing her, telling her to go is. I did the same thing you're thinking of doing and it's a good idea I thought!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 7:22 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• A mother can be aware of the signs the child is about to go. That's how a child can be potty trained at 8 months. That is what people used to do in the old days before disposable diapers and there are even books about how to do it now if you want to.

In reality the mom is trained not the baby.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:24 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Answered at 7:24 PM on Jan. 10, 2010 by:
    Gailll
    A mother can be aware of the signs the child is about to go. That's how a child can be potty trained at 8 months. That is what people used to do in the old days before disposable diapers and there are even books about how to do it now if you want to.

Yet another idiotic post from the peanut gallery! Purely ignorant!

Anonymous

• Its not a bad idea. I actually bought my daughter a potty at 16 months. She used to sit on it when I went to the bathroom and then she started sitting on it in her diaper. Around 18 months she would asked to go. She would say, I go poppy. So I started taking her. By 21 months she was fully potty trained in panties. I never pushed her she simply learned on how. It took me that long to put her in panties because I was scared but she does fine. I still put her in pull ups at night.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 7:28 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Not it isn't too young as long as you don't force it, my DD is 19 months and we have had her potty since 12 months and 2 days ago she drug it in to the bathroom while daddy was going potty and we took her diaper off and she sat on it while he was in the bathroom. We let her up when she wanted up, just make her comfortable she may not actually go in the potty or a while but at least she won't be scared. Make sure you start using potty talk, poop and pee so she identifies the differences etc.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:36 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I bought the chair for my son around that age. I put it in the bathroom and let him check it out on his own accord. He is 20 months and still not potty trained or showing much interest in it.
    Anonymous

• You might try putting a potty chair in the bathroom, but I wouldn't start the "training" until she is showing signs that SHE is ready. As intelligent as she seems to be, don't push your daughter to be older than she is. Enjoy her baby years. They come and go so quickly.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:37 PM on Jan. 10, 2010