I am looking for help in dealing with sibling fighting? Any ideas?

Kids are ages 7 and 4. Mostly from the 7 year old boy.

Commissioned77

Asked by Commissioned77 at 7:14 PM on Jan. 10, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• dont take sides. when they fight everyone gets into trouble.
    Anonymous

• Put them in seperate corners and ring a bell. Let them go at it until they can't fight anymore. Invite some people over to make bets on them, make some nachos, and have someone keep score. I'm totally joking! Put them both in time out (one minute for each year of their age) and when time is up, sit them down and have them talk out their differences. Make sure you make them hug at the end. If anything, the 7 year old will be repulsed by having to give a hug and may refrain from fighting. Good luck!
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 7:23 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Buy a punching bag and boxing gloves.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 7:23 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• You could try the book Sibling Rivalry.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:26 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• one on one time, maybe he is jealous perhaps he thinks you pay her more attention, I mean find out why before you try to quell it.
    vikings_beauty

Answer by vikings_beauty at 7:37 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• My mom made my sister and I touch noses when we fought. I am three years older and I hated it, so I had to weigh whether or not I wanted to sit that close to my sister. When we were done she would talk to us about why what we did was wrong. Maybe that will help, good luck!
    Daylex

Answer by Daylex at 8:03 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Siblings fight. There's nothing you can do about it.
    What do they fight about?
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 8:32 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I have 4 boys ages 10, 9, 7 and 6. If they fight they have to stand in the corner and hug each other until I deem they are ready to give a real apology to each other. They rarely fight anymore.lol If they go up and just hit one of their brothers they are grounded for two days and they are to stay in their room. Again this never happens they know we mean business and they do need to respect each other or there are consequences. People say we are mean but our kids are well behaved, play well together and are always invited as a group places because they are so well behaved.
    Anonymous

• Here's a great article on coping with sibling rivalry and fights in the home.

Siblings at War in Your Home (Declare a Ceasefire Now)
    Mom-Online

Answer by Mom-Online at 10:34 AM on Jan. 12, 2010