My daughter is almost 4 months old, when is okay to take her in a pool with me?

pennstatemama21

Asked by pennstatemama21 at 7:34 PM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Now! As an Aquatic Director for many years, I taught swimming lessons to parents and infants starting at 3 months--indoor and outdoor pools (among other things). At that age it's teaching parents how to hold their children in the water to maximize independence and a secure feeling, water acclimation, relaxation/floating, holding their breath, and learning how to get a breath on their own--plus fun songs and games for some parent/child bonding.

Just limit the time in the water to no more than 30 minutes, and try and find a pool that keeps a water temperature of 84-90 degrees. The warmer the better.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:40 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Just make sure she is warm, but take her in now. My DD loved the pool.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:43 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• About 4 months ago.
    AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 7:51 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• well my dd was 4months in the summer and i took her once to the pool but she wasn;t too fond of it but it was not heated and all the sunblocks and floaters were 6months and up so i waited. she will be over a year this summer so i am looking forward to it. but if i can find some place that swims indoors that would be fantastic. you all gave me a good idea. thanks. enjoy ur pool time.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 8:26 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Anytime. 6 mo. is when it gets a bit easier because they can usually situp comfortably in one of those floaties but I had my daughter in at 4 mo. Sometimes the water was the only thing that would calm her down during fussy periods.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 9:05 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• My daughter first went into the pool around 3 months? maybe sooner.. its good to get them started early just make sure you don't go to deep, and you keep their head above water until they're secure. Have fun momma!
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 1:33 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• My son was in the water with me at like 3 weeks old! I think as long as it is warm enough outside (or the pool is indoors or heated) you should be fine to take him/her in any time! 4 months is probably too young to put them in any floatation devices so thats the only thing you have to think about (you just have to hold the baby).
    mbelle25

Answer by mbelle25 at 2:59 AM on Jan. 11, 2010