what do you do when time outs grounding takin away toys and privileges doesnt help

my boys ages 7 and 5 have gotten to be out of control and im out of ideas. they break stuff, fight, get into the snacks( i have those in the back room with a hook lock atop the door i have to use a chair to reach it) cause they fill up on snacks they done eat meals (snack foods in my house consist of whole grain crackers& breads fruit snacks granola..somewhat healthy stuff) its to the point that where ever i go i have to take them with me ie..cleaning the bathrooms cleaning kitchen changing my 2yr old diaper and with me to the bathroom, i cant leave them alone for even 5 min without them destroying stuff. on nice days we go outside and play, like today went and made a snow fort as a family, or we try to do other family stuff but on the days my hubby works i cant even get them to settle down. they cant sit still they cant follow directions. im so frustrated

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:36 PM on Jan. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• Take everything away and put it in storage, Leave them their beds nothing else, They can get stuff back when they earn it. I know it sounds mean but it will work, if they don't have anything to break or fight over. Have them go somewhere for a day and you and Dh take everything away from them I mean everything.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:42 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Start assigning chores to keep them occupied. Redirecting attention USUALLY works (but not always).
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 7:41 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I know LOTS of people would disagree... but I spank when the time out doesn't work. Be very consistent, never back down and always follow through.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 7:43 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Ruttermama is right they are not afraid of you or consequences so they continue the behavior, they need to know you are serious.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:45 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Learn new parenting skills besides punishment. Punishment does not teach good behavior.

Go to the bookstore and look at parenting books to get new ideas. Take parenting classes. Go to a parenting conference. Do research online.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:45 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Answered at 7:45 PM on Jan. 10, 2010 by: Gailll Learn new parenting skills besides punishment. Punishment does not teach good behavior. Go to the bookstore and look at parenting books to get new ideas. Take parenting classes. Go to a parenting conference. Do research online.

confusedbanging head into wallYet another ignorant response from the peanut gallery...

Anonymous

• op here
    i sent them to bed early and they are to stay into their rooms till i can figure something out. i went to move a plant upstairs and they busted all of angels cause they were jumping and climbing on the furniture when i asked them to watch tv till i got back them we could play a game or watch a movie...
    too bad they werent old enough for boot camp i seriously send them for a couple of weeks. we had a problem with my oldest stealing, not sure where he learned that from, but i got so fed up after the 4 th time he tried stealing i called the cops to have an officer come down and talk to him, she even put him in cuffs and sat him in the back of the car to explain to him this is what happens when you get older and steal, that took care of that.
    Anonymous

• put them in a corner and make them face it,my mom always did that becouse nothing else worked either. i rembeer falling aleep in the corner.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:11 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• My oldest is alot like that, I put him in football to redirect all of his energy ... he did well, now that football is over we are looking for something else :)
    Daylex

Answer by Daylex at 8:15 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• One time I took EVERYTHING out of my daughter's room except her mattress. All her clothes, her nightstand, lamp, toys, and everything else I could lift. My hubby thought I was a crazy person. She spent the next week earning things back one by one. She got her night light back the first night. It was hard on us all, but after we all calmed down we thought of ways she could be helpful to "earn" her stuff back. She was an angel for at least a month after that.
    Tina51003

Answer by Tina51003 at 9:12 PM on Jan. 10, 2010