Getting induced this weekend...

What do they do to induce you? and does it hurt?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:06 PM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• They give you a drug called pitocin, it doesn't hurt, but if things don't move at the pace they want they will then break your water (again doesn't hurt) and then depending on if things progress how the doctor likes (or doesn't) they may increase the pitocin a little at a time or a lot at a time. You will usually then have a choice of an epidural if things are progressing at a rate they will allow that or you'll be ready to push and have the baby. At some point they may or may not suggest a c-section. A LOT depends on how you progress with the pitocin.
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 8:18 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I don't know myself but I wish you good luck mama!
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 8:16 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• no it doesnt hurt. i have been induced with mine and it wasnt bad at all. the only thing that sucks is that it can take awhile but that can happen naturally too. all they do is give you some meds in an IV to start your contractions. they will break your water as well and they sometimes put some gel stuff (cant remember what its called) on your cervix to help dilate you. the only part that was bad for me was when they break the water without having the pain meds yet. but its not teribble.
    michelle.coppes

Answer by michelle.coppes at 8:20 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• i really think you should do a lot more research and ask a lot more questions (of your doctor or midwife) before you make this decision. there are different ways of being induced. all with different risks. (worst ones being c-section and fetal distress)

gl!
    Anonymous

• Its not my decision. My son is getting too big inside of me so he has to induce me, either that or c section but he was to induce. I know ALOT about pregnancy and stuff im not STUPID. I asked a simple question if it hurt n what ALL do they do like from experience!
    Anonymous

• i wasn't saying you should not get induced, but i still do think you should ask a lot of questions of your doctor, the big one being what they are using to induce your. for instance some will you cytotek to induce but it's not approved to use for that purpose and some women have died from it. so i think you should ask your doctor what method s/he is planning and what the risks are.

no need to get all defensive and rude. i was just trying to be helpful based on what you asked.

oh and YES it is your decision.

--anon 8:23
    Anonymous