Would you have done it?

My kids are sooo selfish and greedy, especially my oldest, and she complains about EVERYTHING. Almost never has anything nice to say. did I mention she's only 7? Yes, I know kids are selfish by nature and think the world revolves around them up till a certain age. But she is "spoiled", she doesn't get whatever she wants, and she sees me helping others(strangers) quite often. I was not like this as a kid(I've asked my mom thinking I just didnt remember being a brat). So today I showed them pictures of starving children. Told them why they looked that way. Told them even if they don't like the food they have they should be grateful for it. Would you show your kids pics of starving kids? I don't regret doing it at all. I think I got to them. I'm going to make them go with me to donate their toys. And I"m going to take them to volunteer to help the needy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:14 PM on Jan. 10, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would do that too!
    Anonymous

• 1/3 of all the money my 6 yr old earns/coins she finds in my pocket goes to a needy girl through COMPASSION. We've been doing this since she was 4. I pay $38 a month for food and education for the little girl and DD saves up all year for the girls birthday and christmas presents
    Lorelai

Answer by Lorelai at 8:22 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I love it!!! They need a lesson in humility and humanity and that is a wonderful way to do it bravo to you.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:44 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Children only know what they are taught and as a parent it is your job to teach humanity to your kids. We live in a "me" generation and I am afraid it is getting worst. You don't hear about kids helping the needy or their community. It has to start at home!

jlbohannon

Answer by jlbohannon at 11:50 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I think you did good. Teaching them by showing them how to be humble and appreciative is good and the best way to learn. Ya never know, maybe they'll find a career by volunteering.
    Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 1:32 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• yes, I would have done itI think that was a great idea. We are instilling this now with our girls as well. They are learning, but it's slow. We play "keep or toss" and this helps them get rid of the good toys to goodwill for the kids who don't have any, and throw away the broken stuff. We always tell my oldest that she should be thankful for what she has and what she gets. and by telling her that there are some children who don't even have shoes, she understands the little things.
    ShelbysHope

Answer by ShelbysHope at 3:13 PM on Jan. 11, 2010