Do vegans and PETA members get vaccinated?

Yes, this is a serious question. I'm not mocking anybody. I know that people choose not to get vaccinated for various reasons, but I was just wondering because of what they do with the eggs. In case you didn't know, they inject the virus into the embryo while it's still alive, and incubate it so that the virus grows. Once it's at the level it needs to be, they put it in a tube and ship it off to medical facilities. There is more to it obviously, but that's the gist of it. I know vegans don't eat anything that comes from an animal, and I'm not sure how PETA feels about what they do with the embryos. Just curious! lol

nicolemstacy

Asked by nicolemstacy at 8:17 PM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Vegans most likely don't but PETA members aren't all vegetarians etc. I know that people with egg allergies also don't get them. So I would guess that some do and some do not just like the regular population. I like the critical thought of this question, kudos for coming up with an original question.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:41 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Some do, some don't. Just like everybody else.
    Yoshi_Yoshi

Answer by Yoshi_Yoshi at 8:18 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• that is a good question :D IMO I never thought about whether or not vegan's got vaccines that contained egg...
    Anonymous

• I'm guessing that vegans and Peta members were not those things when they were born and had no choice, their parent's made that decision. A better question would be to ask if these people get their children vaccinated...and I'm guessing no.
    Anonymous

• We can still get vaccinated as adults anon. Thanks for your answer though!
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 8:25 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Some do and some don't. My aunt is a vegetarian and a member of PETA, and does not get vaccinations. She did not receive them as a child either. But for other reasons. I would think that if they were properly educated on the contents of and facts about vaccines that most would not. However I feel that way about the general public as well...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:31 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Hmm probably a little of both. The extremist probably dont.
    Anonymous

• I've got vegan friends that get vaccinated, and plan to vaccinate their children.

...correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there some "vegetarian" versions of some injections out there? I'm sure they will get those when possible.

Anonymous

• Not all vaccinations use the egg, but I know the flu vaccine is made from the virus and a fertilized embryo. I have never heard of another method they use to make the flu vaccine.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 4:20 PM on Jan. 11, 2010