my 9 yr old son is being called names by another boy in his class. What should he do to get it to stop?

statlerfan

Asked by statlerfan at 8:27 PM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Tell him that he needs to ignore the boy not give him any attention at all, the boy will move on and eventually leave him alone, you just have to ignore it at that age I know it is hard but it works.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:36 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• It might be wise to get the teacher involved. Does he/she know this is going on? IMO, these things usually get worse before they get better. If the teacher were to catch it happening (after a heads up to watch out for it), he/ she could call the other kid's parents or follow the school's protocol for bullying behavior.
    Good Luck-
    zoeygracesmom

Answer by zoeygracesmom at 8:38 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• My son HAD this problem. We went through all the channels, teacher conference, principal meeting, counselor, etc....
    Finally my son got sick of it and punched the kid in the nose giving him a bloody nose. Hasn't been bothered since. While I do not condone that behavior, I am proud my son stuck up for himself.
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 12:42 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• There was a boy who simply found it fun to annoy our son. He started doing it in 1st grade so we requested they not be in the same class. All was fine until 4th grade when they were in class together.

We told our son to do the followin in order..... 1) ignore it 2) tell a teacher 3) get in his face and tell him to knock it off 4) never throw the first punch but feel free to end it if he starts it.

Finally the boy took it up a notch and kicked our son. Our son chased him down, threw one hard punch that hit him in the jaw and knocked him to the ground. Then our son walked away. The boy NEVER bothered him again.

Our son did have a detention... but NEVER got in trouble at home.

If you allow people to walk all over you - they will.
    Anonymous

• I agree with anon 1:25!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:26 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• That's kinda like what I said...
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 6:55 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• anon 2:25 has the right idea
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 10:52 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• LOL @ Starfire and Anon 1:25... my daughter did the same. She had a boy picking on her constantly, both verbally and physically. One day he slammed her desk into her and walked away. She got up, caught up with him, and shoved him as hard as she could. She got in trouble with the school, but not with momma or daddy! I was personally quite proud of her, not that I condone physical violence, but that she took matters into her own hands and dealt with it. Oddly enough, they are now good friends and his grandma and I are thinking by high school, they'll probably be dating LOL.

My husband had the same problem and also beat up some of the kids who did it. Fixed the problem. I had the same problem and, with no self esteem and no parental support, allowed it keep happening. At 44 I am still dealing with the damage to my self esteem.
    crittermomma

Answer by crittermomma at 12:10 PM on Feb. 9, 2010