How do you get your kid to eat when they decide they don't want to eat anything?

Asked by jazztastic at 6:26 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If my son has choices it's too overwhelming for him. He's 20 months old. So, I put one thing on his plate. If he eats I praise him. If he doesn't we put that away and try one more thing. Sometimes he only eats fruit. Others it is only protein. Others it's only starch. Over the day and week, he gets the foods he needs.

I certainly don't starve him... he is very healthy... and most of the time, the first thing I give him gets eaten up just fine. He also gets snacks during the day. Usually fruits or carrots.

Answer by kaseysmommy1003 at 6:50 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I usually give him a bunch of different types of food for him to choose from. it really depends on what age your kids are. Mine is 17 months and he is wanting his indepedance. I have noticed that if I give him the option to pick what he wants he tends to eat more.

Answer by mle14boo at 6:31 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Give them a choice of two things to eat...that way they feel like they have control of the situation...but really you do. It helps to make them feel more independent. I hope this helps :o) Good luck.

Answer by momo3lilladies at 6:32 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• My mom says kids eat when they are hungry. lol. I believe it! Unless your child NEVER eats, I wouldnt worry about it.

Answer by Mother2oneboy at 6:35 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• With my stepkids I have chosen to not force them to eat. I make them decide. The rule is they have to eat at least 3 bites of everything on their plate but I don't want them to feel like they have to clean their plate. I was taught to be that way and now as an adult I overeat to ensure that I clear my plate. I want them to have that independence. They do know that there is no snacking...if they don't eat then they don't eat til the next meal. It has worked out really well for us.

Answer by HeatherTurner at 6:38 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• My son is 2 and refuses everything I give him unless it's fruit or cereal. His doc said to put him on supplements, which I've done, but I still wish I could get him to eat.

Answer by jazztastic at 6:40 PM on Jun. 18, 2008