How can I stop my austistic son to stop running away from me everytime

we go out

alwaysrunnin281

Asked by alwaysrunnin281 at 4:53 PM on Jun. 25, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son is 5 years old and I put him in the back of my shopping cart or I have him ride on the front...carefully. They are a handful aren't they? They also sell different animal back packs that have long tails..."leashes" but not sooo obvious. We bought ours at Wal-Mart. hang in there!
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 6:03 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• My son is 27 months old. He has learned to crawl out of the buggy so that is no longer an option for us. I purchased one of the leashes mentioned above. The really work miracles with my son. He did not likee it at first, but after several tries he will now wear it. I highly recommend one of these. Good luck!!
    redtang912

Answer by redtang912 at 7:58 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• I feel your pain. It is scary when he starts to run since he seems to then just go into his own little world and ignore him.

I have noticed that with my autistic step son that when he listens to me and I reward him with a high five, he finds enjoyment by me assuring him that he is doing something good. I know it sounds silly but I don't punish the bad behavior, I just over celebrate his good behaviors. He strives to be a good boy and he wants that verbal and hand gesture award.

I am now able to keep him in line most of the time all though my hand gets sore from all the high fives.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 1:25 AM on Jun. 28, 2008