One year old sleep? Or lack of?

My son has never been a very good sleeper. For many months he would wake up 5 or so times a night. I tried a lot of different techniques and then finally just waited for it to change. Well right around the time he turned one (it was on the 20th of December) he started to sleep better. As in he would only wake up once a night. Well in the past week he has gone back to his old sleeping patterns. He has most of his teeth. His last molar broke through a few days ago and a tooth on the bottom broke through a few days ago as well. I am not sure if his molar would be still bothering him because it isn't all the way through, just one part of it. Anyway, I am just wondering if anyone else has gone through this? He eats three meals a day and has snacks, so he's not hungry. I just don't know what else to do besides deal with this erratic sleep pattern...any thoughts?

Ctepanee

Asked by Ctepanee at 8:29 PM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, I think it definitely could be teething, because wow, all his teeth at 12 months! And I think they can hurt them a lot when they're partially in, especially the molars. But these phases happen, whether you can put your finger on it or not. My 16 month old is a great sleeper at night and now all the sudden she's waking up super-early. My 2.5 year old has always slept through the night and woken up early, and now she's waking every 2 hours needing mom and dad and is sleeping in until 9! This probably isn't encouraging, but whenever it gets really hard like this, I try not to over-think it, and to just remember that most likely, two (and probably one) months from now, this problem will be gone (though another may have surfaced in its place). Do make sure he's getting a good nap during the day and that he gets to bed early. Broken sleep can be associated with being over-tired. Good luck, hang in there.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:01 PM on Jan. 10, 2010