autism testing question

after waiting for so long, my son is finally being tested for autism. we went to our intial appt last week and tomorrow we go for the psychology portion. can anyone tell me what to expect at this appt? he is severly speech delayed so im just curious whats going to happen since he cant verbally answer questions. any help is greatly appreciated.

SThompson21

Asked by SThompson21 at 8:30 PM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• When my son was diagnosed they did it all at one time, so I'm not sure exactly what "projects" were testing for what areas but basically they just played games with him. They would try to get him interested in something and then see how he reacted if they took it away (would he cry, ask for it by pulling at your arm, or pointing, etc), they would try to get him to imitate what they were doing with certain items, they would give him common household objects and see if he knew what to do with them (gave him a doll and a hairbrush and a spoon - would he pretend to "feed the baby" or "brush her hair" with the right item?), they did some motor skills assignments as well - shape sorters and puzzles, plus having him walk up and down a short flight of stairs and run down the hallway. It's been a while, so it's hard to remember everything. Good luck!

Answer by missanc at 10:01 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• The psychologist plays games and conducts an interview about what she cannot observe during the session. It is kinda of a long apt but worth it for the diagnosis.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 3:03 PM on Jan. 11, 2010