Severe phobia of needles and getting HIV, any advice?

I have a severe fear of catching HIV. When I go to get my blood drawn I get so worried after about them using dirty needles or them stabbing themselves by accident and then drawing my blood (since I can't stand to watch as they do it) and then me catching it. Any advice on this? I am not sure if this is a reasonable fear or if other people have this problem. I am assuming most people don't ever think this way but I can't be sure. I think I need reassurance and vent my fears out there. Is that even possible for someone taking my blood to accidentially stab themselves with my needle and then continue to draw my blood and me not know it? Please no jokes or bashing. This is upseting enough for me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:38 PM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Health

• They don't even use those needles like they used to. They are some clean microfiber thingey you can't even feel. They are disposable and not even sharp so it's all good. My grandson just had it done and didn't feel a thing and he's terrified of needles.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:40 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• They are supposed to open the fresh package of needles in front of you, and when they are done they put them in a locked box that is soley for needle disposal. Since learning of hiv and aids the medical field searched into how to prevent it hence learning how its contracted!!! Hospital, tatoo parlors, and piercing shops are to use brand new material, wear gloves, open the sanitized materials in front of you and dispose of them appropriately, and if you do not witness this course of action have evey right to deny them access to your person! I have been tested for hiv/aids numerous times and its manditory while pregnant now, got a tatt, got 4 piercings and never once was exposed or had concern of contracting the disease!!! I can not tell you to or how to get over your fear, all I can do is suggest that you remind yourself this is being done to make sure your healthy!! GL!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 9:01 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• 1- the needles ar individually wrapped and used fresh every time
    2- as a health care worker i can tell you that we worry about catching stuff from pacient more than vise versa, we are in more danger thatn you - we wear gloves mostly to protect us not you :) but if a needle stick happens it is reported immidiatly to the suervisor and both parties are required to get testeing ect
    try to relax :)
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:41 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• thank you pp. that makes me feel a tad better. sometimes my imagination gets the best of me. i am picturing the person getting stuck before they stick me and just continue as if they didn't. i thnk it's b/c i cant watch the actual stick and i can't say for sure what happened. i really didn't worry until i saw my arm. it was all red and irritated and bruised. and it had a scratch from the needle entry down about a half inch. never saw a scratch on my arm before. have u ever seen that on a patient before? doc said coud have been a trace from the needle but i sure didn't feel it. lol thanks for the advice.
    Anonymous

• It may make you feel better to take someone with you when you have to have any sticking done, that way you dont have to watch and you trust the person to keep an eye out! but i think the chances of you getting something is very low but still possible. Dont feel bad about haveing someone with you either, 4 eyes are better than 2!lol
    youlookin4me

Answer by youlookin4me at 10:15 PM on Jan. 10, 2010