Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

for all the single mothers:

i am a single mother and this is just a question for those that have been a single parents for awhile. my daughter's father lives out of state and he was coming up once a month to visit until oct was his last time until today. my question is this visitations out of state for a small child? anyone have experience with that or even in state with a signifacne distance involved. any information greatly appreciated. i am going for support we go to court january 20. not sure what will happen with visitations.

Answer Question

Asked by lambdarose at 8:59 PM on Jan. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 22 (14,088 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • If the child is not leaving the state than no. However, its possible that the father will want to have visitation at his own home and that will be out of state. Some states are pretty big and they'll define long distance visitation as over 100 miles.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

  • support and cisitation are 2 seperat issues, you have to file seperatly for
    my son's father and i have not allways lived in the same state but he has nothing to do with my son so i havent had to deal with visitation, but i did take him to court for custody
    good luck

    Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:36 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

  • I'm sort of confused on what you're asking, but if i'm right I believe the father can take them out of state depending where he lives, and if he obeys the court order on returning them on time. I have my brother's girls, and he lives out of state, but he has no visitation due to his drug use, but I do feel he will be allowed to get them even if he does not live local.

    Answer by ambr2006 at 9:57 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

  • Child support enfocement has NOTHING to do w/ visitation, unless you were married at the time of birth or have an aggrement that will be upheld in court it really is up to you on the who what when where and how long. I wouldnt let my child go out of state without something in writing. Maybe agree to meet halfway??

    Answer by youlookin4me at 9:57 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.