Europe Slapping Rich With Massive Traffic Fines! $290,00!!!

Advocates say a $290,000 speeding ticket slapped on a millionaire Ferrari driver in Switzerland was a fair and well-deserved example of the trend.

Germany, France, Austria and the Nordic countries also issue punishments based on a person's wealth. In Germany the maximum fine can be as much as $16 million compared to only $1 million in Switzerland. Only Finland regularly hands out similarly hefty fine to speeding drivers, with the current record believed to be a $190,000 ticket in 2004.

What do you think? Fair? I think I like this. If its supposed to make a person think twice about repeating an illegal act they should actually feel the pinch of the fine! However, this could lead to WAY too low penalties to those deemed too poor to pay and thus using problems on THAT end...hhmmmmm...what say you?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,582722,00.html

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 9:06 PM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:06 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I heard about this! I think it is insane! If the crime is the same the penalty should be the same!

Would it be fair if this was based on gender or race..what about religion?
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:16 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• What about those who have the money to repeatedly pay the fines so they keep doing it and never learn the lesson the fine was meant to impart? My understanding is that these are repeat offenders. People who have repeatedly broken the laws and laughed in the face of law enforcement and the judicial system, just because they can afford to pay the fines.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like something a European or Liberal would like. I think it is crap but I don't live there so not my issue. I would be furious if our country did that.
    Anonymous

• Yourspec -- fines like this are not given out the first time, they are used for offenders who have repeatedly shown their disdain for following the same laws as everyone else. I think it is a good idea. I mean, what kind of punishment is a $150 fine to someone who has millions? To me, that same $150 is a fortune, therefore, I really try to watch my speed, because I can't afford a fine. Besides, just think of how the fines collected can help the cities who impose them, not to mention maybe getting the attention of someone who may think they are above the law because they have a lot of wealth.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 9:55 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• 29again, it doesn't matter what the reason. They are giving different punishments for the same crime based on a persons worth.

Where I come from some people think they are above the law based upon their race. Would it be fair to give a black person a longer prison sentence than a white person based simply on the fact that most of that type of crime is committed by this group and the regular sentence hasn't had any effect on that group. There would be outrage. There should be!

Criminal punishment should be based on the crime and should be equal for all.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:22 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• There is a difference between money and race. Money you can control, race you cannot. I feel that fees should be based on a percentage of income or assets. I feel that would put people on a equal footing. If you have a person who makes $100K a year and a person who makes only $10K a year that commit the same crime, say speeding. If you are using 10% of their income as the basis of the fine then both will be impacted similarly. Both will probably be worrying about how they are going to afford something. Unlike with the set up now. Where both are charged $100 for the same crime the person who is only making $10K is going to feel the hurt from their actions much more than the person making $100k. The person making 10k is probably not going to do it again the person making 100k will more than likely do it again, since the impact on them was less. The way I look at ...the impact has got to be equal not the dollar amount.
    Anonymous

• It's not right to punish someone based off of their income. The more someone commits a crime, the higher the penalty goes. The first traffic violation sometimes is just a warning or could be a small fine. If you get a second violation, the fine goes up. After so many times of getting a ticket, the person then will have their license revoked. If you've had your license revoked and have another traffic violation, you'll most likely then be sentenced to some time in jail. This should be the same for everyone regardless of their income.
    onthegoturbo

Answer by onthegoturbo at 11:15 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• It fits the exact definition of Progressivism ... which is a re-definition of what is Fair.

To one way of thinking, every person committing the same crime pays the same penalty or serves the same jail time ... every person buying the same product pays the same sticker price, etc.

To the Progressive way of thinking, every person is scrutinized and judged, categorized and charged according to what he can afford.

Americans balk at this elitism (as in "we in power are more intelligent than you lower classes, and we have the right to decide FOR you").

By the way, there are detailed sections in the health care bills which spell out precisely this way of dictating what each American must pay into the system.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 11:57 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• The problem is it is not happening. Do you honestly think that we have more low income people in jail because they commit more crimes? No, most could not pay fines and that is why they are in jail. To me if you guys use your logic for discrimination then it should not be pay the fine or go to jail. Isn't that by your definition discrimination, obviously those who cannot pay the fine are going to go to jail. For instance, someone picked up with enough pot for personal use is given the following sentence $1000 fine or 60 days in jail. A higher income person will pay the fine a low income person will land in jail, lose their job and force their family on to welfare more than likely. I do not see the fairness in that. One person is being punished more than the other based on their ability to pay. Some people are just blind to the inequalities of our judicial system.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Jan. 11, 2010