my four year old has a.d.h.d and he is on medacine and i dont think it helps much, he never sleeps.i dont know what to do .

cyndilou76

Asked by cyndilou76 at 9:17 PM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• What is he taking and how long has he been on it? He seems a little young to be on meds, is he really intense adhd? Meds need time to kick in. They can seem heavy for about two weeks, but the jitters do wear off. Give it a chance. I grew up adhd and my oldest is also. If you have any questions ask away!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 9:20 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• LOW dose of melatonin will help with the sleep...talk to your doc about it, but I hate to say the sleep thing is often a part of the adhd, I got no sleep last night complements of my 6 1/2 yr old
    good luck
    Anonymous

• discuss with the doc, they may have suggestions
    good luck
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:22 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Absolutely discuss dosages and types. How long has he been on these meds?
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 9:29 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Wow, 4 is so young :( My son is 6 and his doc said he wanted to wait till 7. I don't want him on stimulants at all so we tried Intuniv which came out on the market in November. It's non stimulant and he doesn't wake up in the middle of the night anymore and crawl in bed with us!!! It was just what we needed to calm him down and help him focus better at school.

But I really don't think his ADHD is out of control either. He needed something, just not something strong. I just have a bad feeling about "hard" meds for young kids that could benefit from other things. I hope you find something that works for you but definitely inquire about Tenex (can be crushed in liquid) or Intuniv (time released)!
    all4mymarine

Answer by all4mymarine at 9:52 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Oh, just saw someone suggested Melatonin. My son's doc suggested that too and he takes 1mg every once in awhile. They have it at Walmart.
    all4mymarine

Answer by all4mymarine at 9:54 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• kids with asburgers syndrome often are dianosed (misdianosed) with adhd, adhd drugs are stimulants, which is fine for those kids because they have reverse systems, meaning that they get calmed by the stimulant. if that isnt how he is reacting to them, his dianosis could be wrong. look up asburgers and see if it sounds like your kid. otherwise, look into a diff med or a lower dose.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 11:16 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Medication should be a last resort. ADHD is a mental health issue, not a medical issue; a pediatrician has not business medicating ADHD without proper testing.
    There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/. You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy
    My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil).

Answer by rkoloms at 12:44 PM on Jan. 11, 2010