What's the best way(s) to wein a 7 month old off breast milk to formula?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:21 PM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Do it slowly. If you pump, I would make bottles that are 1/4 formula and 3/4 breast milk...after abotu 3 or 4 days go to half and half, then after 3 or 4 days do 3/4 formula and 1/4 breastmilk then after 3 or 4 days full formula. It will give the babys tummy time to adjust.
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 9:32 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• It's best not to mix breastmilk and formula in a bottle.

Different things work with different babies and it depends on how fast you want to wean. As soon as you start solids the weaning process has begun. Of course the best way is to wait until after a year and let the baby wean itself.

You can cut out the least favorite times to nurse. Keep nursing the times that the baby needs most - naps, bedtime, whatever. This can take a long time. If you go slow enough the baby can be fed more solids insead of starting formula right away. You want to make sure the foods you are feeding are high quality, not baby cereal and jar food.

If the baby isn't going to be able to wean itself, slowly eliminating the least favorite feedings is considered the best.

www.kellymom.com is a good breastfeeding website and has more info on weaning.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:50 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Mixing breastmilk and formula is fine. I wanted to bfeed but had some severe problems with anemia (they had to give me a 2 infusions of blood in the hospital) so I wasn't producing milk - my dr had me pump as much as I could and then they would mix what I did produce with formula for him to drink while I was in the hospital. We eventually used a supplementer and I was able to breastfeed without it after a couple of weeks.
    I would mix the two as well gradually reducing the amount of breastmilk and increasing formula. Although, some babies actually like formula so you could try a bottle and see if he takes it without fussing. You would still want to gradually reduce feedings/day so you don't hurt from being too full and give your body time to adjust. Good luck!

Answer by missanc at 10:06 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Missanc, many LC will tell NOT to mix.

To the OP-Personally I would wait till your LO was year then start with whole milk. One it is cheaper. Two, then you don't have to wean twice. My dd weaned from the breast at 10 months and went straight to whole milk. Either way, you have to go slow.

Is there a specific reason you are wanting to switch?
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 11:49 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• i would just wait. why waste the money on about 4 months of formula when if you wait til a year, you can just switch to vit D milk. much cheaper.
    still, the WHO recommends bfing up to age 2 and longer if you and baby are comfortable.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 1:09 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Why would you want to do that?
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 11:30 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• rkoloms

Answer by rkoloms at 12:40 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Drop one feeding per week till gone. I would NOT mix because of the risk baby will reject it...you've just wasted breastmilk that way.
    Be aware that weaning now will not fix any problems,. if that's your goal...not sleeping will continue, clinginess will continue...the only thing gone is the nursing itself.

And also know that most meds are safe while nursing, if that's the motivation for putting yourself through this exercise, which relaly is a nuisance for mom. **smile**

Answer by gdiamante at 4:51 PM on Jan. 11, 2010