Is it illegal to leave my younger boys in the house while I take my daughter to the bus stop?

I have a daughter whos is in 1st grade. I enjoy walking her to the bus stop every morning, which is at the corner of my street, I can see my house & it's less than a football feild away. Is it illegal to leave my two boys in the house while I am gone for 5 mins? Usually the baby is still sleeping and the 2 1/2 year old is eating breakfast & watching tv.

The5Wehrs

Asked by The5Wehrs at 9:23 PM on Jan. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• yes it is illegal.

not to mention you should definitely not leave a young child unattended like that while eating! what if he choked???
    Anonymous

• I honestly don't know the answer to that question. Don't you worry that your 2 1/2 year old might choke on his breakfast while you are out? That would probably be my only concern since you are only walking down the street.
    JessicaB86

Answer by JessicaB86 at 9:25 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I would think leaving the 2 and 1/2 year old eating alone is a choking hazard. I would not feel comfortable leaving my children alone at that age, accidents happen in a split second. I don't know if it is illegal but some might call it child neglect or endangerment depending on your state..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:26 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• It might not technically be illegal, but it's a very bad judgement call. It takes 1 second for your house to catch on fire, for a burglar to come in, anything.

How would you feel if some person saw you leave your house and assumed it was empty? Then broke in and started vandalizing... That'd put your young babies right in harms reach.
    Itsonono

Answer by Itsonono at 9:26 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Why is it so hard to take the other kids with? They enjoy walks too. Second, what if your child choked while eating? I also don't believe for a second that you are only gone 5 minutes. It takes longer than 5 minutes to walk a footbal field. If something happens to your child you will be held accountable and could be charged with child endargerment, failure to protect.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 9:27 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• what are you supposed to do? wake them up dress them up and drag them into the cold? i don't see how it can be illegal. a mom can't be in two places at once. children are not supposed to be unsupervised at the bus stop either. Are moms supposed to hire a babysitter for 15 minutes?
    are there any other moms at the bus stop? maybe you could ask them to keep an eye on your daughter.
    good luck!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:30 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• what about parents who go outside to smoke a cigarette for 5 minutes....? leaving the child unattended.... would it be better if they just lit up inside, or.......
    Anonymous

• I live in Minnesota! Mom's put all their kids in the heated car and wait. Let's not make excuses for being plain lazy now. Don't have kids if you don't want to do anything.
    Anonymous

• Then quit smoking....
    Anonymous

• It isn't illegal but you need to make sure the 2 yr old isn't eating that he is doing something else, and take a baby monitor with you, and of course lock the door behind you.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:38 PM on Jan. 10, 2010