Vitamin water for a 1 year old?

What do you think about giving a 17 month old vitamin water?

sweetphoenix529

Asked by sweetphoenix529 at 9:42 PM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My kid sometimes drinks it. Its not a normal thing I give him milk and juice but if he wants some I give it to him. I see no harm.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 9:43 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I give them to my toddlers (now 2 1/2 and 4)
    I do make sure NOT to get the ones for energy though LOL ;o)
    they are healthier than soda or koolaid, and too much juice made for really nasty diapers
    Anonymous

• My daughter used to drink grape Gatorade, but I'd water it way down. I don't think she had it that young though. You should ask the pediatrician. Vitamin water may have way to many vitamins for a 17 month old. I've seen parents give their young kids soda, I don't agree with that. Not at all.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 9:45 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Careful with that because they have lots of calories and sugars that can be bad, instead give water with crystal lite etc.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:49 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I wouldn't.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:53 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Those have ADULT doses of supplements. I wouldn't do that. There are so many other healthy choices in drinks for a small child, and childrens vitamins are safer.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 9:58 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Vitamin water has magnesium in it which can cause diarrhea, which in turn will cause the child to be dehydrated. A sip every now and then will probably be okay, but it's not something I would give my 18 month old on a regular basis. Fruit juices are a much better option for a child that young.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 10:11 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Just feed him teaspoons full of sugar. 8 to be exact. Would you spoon feed a 1 year old 8 teaspoons of sugar? Stupid, right? So why would you give him vitamin water? I swear, people are so clueless about nutrition.
    Anonymous

• just because it says vitamins, doesn't make it healthy. even for adults - they're banking on our ignorance - if it SAYS its healthy it has to be. read the labels - do some research on what the ingredients truly are.

water, and milk are the best options.
    Anonymous

• I give both of my children vitamin water, milk, water, juice... As long as its not soda, "drink", any kind of caffeine, or crystal light - i think its fine. Crystalline fructose - a sweetner in vitamin water, provides fewer calories but is almost one in the same as high fructose corn syrup. Of course it has added vitamins but if we drink an entire bottle - which is 2 and a half servings wouldn't that be too many vitamins for us if a 6 oz pour is too much for kids? Juice contains the now feared HFC and people jam that down kids throats everyday - including myself. The key is everything in moderation. A child that grows up on an entirely organic diet with a holistic background has the same chances of getting hit by a car as a child that that is a product of the fast food nation. So, I wouldnt worry. BTW moderate intake of fats and calories are not bad for children - they are bad for us moms!
    akyrah

Answer by akyrah at 12:04 AM on Jan. 11, 2010