So what's up with diff flow nipples?

So I have no clue what the diffrent flow nipples are for (aside from the obvious that they dispence milk at diffrent speeds.) I guess my question is this, why do you need diffrent flow nipples? Is one rate of flow better than another? Do you have to change the flow rate as your baby grows? I feel silly asking but I really don't know.

GreenLadie

Asked by GreenLadie at 9:51 PM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You generally do not want to give a newborn a 2 or a 3, the milk flows too quickly and they can choke. So yes, the sizes go up as the baby grows.
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 9:55 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• for a newborn, you want slow, they will basically gag and choke on a fast flow nipple because they just can't swallow that much that fast. It's been a few years since I used them, but I do remember them having the ages in months listed on the packages too, just to help with figuring out which one to use when.
    Anonymous

• Hey - if you dont' know, where better to find the answer?! :) The other moms said exactly the right things, but I have to add it depends on the bottle you are using. I use Dr. Brown's bottles and as my son got older I switched from level 1 to level 2 as I did with my first 2 (who just used normal bottles). The level 2 nipples made him spit up more cuz he seemed to be getting it fast. I emailed the company and they said in their studies, most moms stayed with the level 1 nipples cuz they worked so well. I have to admit, I went back to the level 1 and have not gone up to level 2 and he's 16 months old.
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 12:31 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Thank you ladies, I am using the playtex drop ins and I tried to switch from the slow to medium (one to two) but my daughter started spitting up and gaging. I just wanted to see if this was happening to anyone else.
    GreenLadie

Answer by GreenLadie at 1:26 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• The faster flow is for older babies, if you have a new baby i'd suggest slow, they need to work for it.. the fast flow is for when they start eating more and more..
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 1:34 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I never switched, 1 always seemed to work fine for the duration.
    Elizabeth4980

Answer by Elizabeth4980 at 2:20 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• at 4 months my son had to be changed to the faster one. He wouldnt eat enough with the slow one anymore becouse he wanted more he would suck and suck and get tired of doing this. He would stop after before he was full becouse he was tired of trying to get it out. I changed then to the faster one and had no problems ever since he is almost 9 months old now
    Newmommys101

Answer by Newmommys101 at 3:17 PM on Jan. 11, 2010