Named brand household products vs. No named household products

I buy no named brands to save money of course, but some of the no named products that I use work very well. However I do not buy no named dishwashing liquid "anymore" the consistency is too watery. I buy no named paper towels "all the time" they work just a well as "some" of the named brand household products. Which household products do you use the most?? Do you think some no named products work just as good?? With our economy Im shopping to save money... But on the other hand I know people who still buys ALL named brand household products.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:09 PM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I agree with the no name dish washing liquid. I tried like 3 different kinds and it was just like water. I buy brand names mostly because those are the ones with the coupons, and it makes it the same price as the no namers.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 10:12 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• If I have a coupon sometimes I will buy a name brand if it works out to be cheaper. I buy generic paper towels and napkins but I use name brand toilet tissue. I think sometimes they are comparable and it's definitely worth trying them out to see.

Answer by missanc at 10:13 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I clean with vinegar and bleach most of the time. Not mixed together obviously. Bleach kills the germs, and vinegar makes everything shine. Laundry soap is purex, and I put that thing you stick in the dryer and it works for 4 months.. It smells great. I also use The works for the toilet, it cleans really well, and it's cheap!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:19 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I use pretty much all generic. Paper towel is no name, I make my own cleaner (vinegar and water...disinfects and works great!), I make my own laundry soap (super easy and way cheaper than buying it), and I use the Walmart brand dishwasher detergent (for now...I'm going to make my own version of that, too, and see how it goes). All of it works great! I do buy name brand toilet paper (Angel Soft) because I can usually get a great deal on it at my local grocery store and if I pair it with a coupon, it's cheaper than buying generic :)
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 10:29 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• There are certain items which I will ONLY buy name brands of and in those cases a certain name brand simply because of trial and error, I have tried most of the dollar store brands and such and some products simply just don't measure up and in the long run wind up costing more money because you need to buy it more often. ie, dishwashing liquid as you stated and laundry detergent (I spend the extra for all Gain products because we all just love the smell of them!!!).
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 10:30 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Nope. I don't do the no name crap. Personally I think that 99% of the time you get what you pay for, and personally, I don't want to buy the off brand crap, hate it- and then have to go out and by the name brand stuff I should've gotten in the first place! LOL! And btw: we live (the 5 of us) on a very limited income. Usually you can get the good stuff the same price if not cheaper than the no name crap if you use coupons, and follow sales. GL!
    Anonymous

• But i will add that we always buy such products at WalMart which are always cheaper there unless we find a great sale at a local grocery store.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 10:32 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I clean w/ viniger most the time and even that I buy generic. I like Bon Ami for many things(around $1 a can). and for tolit cleaner I often use dishsoap or shampoo(any soap will work). for dishes & dishwasher I use unscented 7th generation products. I don't use paper towel, we use rags. For TP I love my Charmin Ultra soft! My laundry soap I use All Free & Clear or Counrty Save. For softener viniger or dryer balls
    Anonymous

• I buy eco friendly things usually, like Seventh Generation laundry and dish soap. Vinegar to clean with. Cheap paper towels. :)
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 10:36 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• i buy meds like this as long as the active ingredients are the same and in the same amounts. i buy everything else generic for sure. i get woolite and cascade through my old job for MUCH less than i would pay at the store.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 10:42 PM on Jan. 10, 2010