How to get a 2 year old to stop chewing on his crib...

My 2 year old has just found out the sound he can make when he runs his teeth across the rail to his bed. He thinks it's the funniest thing ever. There are already teeth marks on his bed from him chewing the finish off of it. Any ideas on how I can get him to stop??

Krystal.Ingalls

Asked by Krystal.Ingalls at 10:37 PM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i'd put him in a toddler bed, unless he needs a crib.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 10:38 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• He is not quite ready for a toddler bed yet. He has autism and is developmentally behind as a result of it. If at all possible it would be best to keep him in his crib just a little bit longer.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 10:40 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Awesome! I didn't know anyone made anything like that. Thanks 07upsydaisy! =)
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 10:43 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I used to do ABA with autistic children and this sounds like it could be a stim to me. Of course, it may just be plain old toddler oral fixation, but under the circumstances you may want to keep your eye on it. It's best that you get specific advice like this from someone who both understands autism and can become familiar with your child to distinguish what's going on. (I don't try to give situation specific advice because each child is different.) I would definitely talk to the pediatrician about it, as well as possibly an ABA therapist, or even a speech or occupational therapist. All of these people will have insight to share. If you don't already have any of the above therapists, I would recommend contacting one.
    My personal concern is mostly because PICA (eating non-food items) is pretty common with autism and I just want to interject caution to keep him safe!
    I say every word of this in love and I hope that it helps
    MelaSparks

Answer by MelaSparks at 12:49 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Thanks MelaSparks! I'll ask his speech therapist and occupational therapist when we go on Wednesday.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 10:51 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• If you don't mind, pop me a message and let me know what they say. I have actually been wondering about your little one since I answered that!
    MelaSparks

Answer by MelaSparks at 11:17 PM on Jan. 15, 2010

• OH, and you are absolutely welcome. Really hope it helps.
    MelaSparks