Did you have strict parents?

How much did you get away with?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:39 PM on Jan. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• That is such a generalization, I am not sure how to answer. it would take me quite a while to type out what I got away with and what I did'nt and what was not condoned and what was.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 10:41 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• growing up i got away with NOTHING! we were always spanked, even for minor things...believe me....i lived in fear of my parents. and not a healthy fear either. i was terrified of my parents...
    Anonymous

• yes i did if they caught me i wouldnt get away with anything! but that only made me rebel more because i felt trapped
    Naralie

Answer by Naralie at 10:44 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Mine were strict when they needed to be.. I think they were awesome parents, I hope I'm just half as good at it as they were.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:49 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• My parents were also strict. I respected them(still do). Like MrsLeftlane, I hope I am half as good a parent as my mom and dad were.
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 10:56 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• my mom let me get away with TONS- mostly b/c i was an asshole brat peice of crap bitchy daughter if i didnt get my way (had a VERY hard time adjusting to being a teen, i apolgize to my mom). my dad? not so much. he was a very strict lebanese/muslim, we couldnt even talk at dinner. so, half and half.
    Anonymous

• They were relatively strict by todays standards I think. I also grew up in a household where religion was a way of life so that seeped into the rules and such as well.

I wasnt rebellious so their rules never bothered me LOL, if I got grounded for something I kept myself grounded even if my mother had forgotten by the next day.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:14 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• My parents were very lenient but I never had any inkling to try and do things I knew were wrong. I never sneaked out of the house, I didn't drink or party, I didn't have sex. I was never interested in those things when I was a teen or even when I was in college. I had no curfew or rules as a teen but I didn't need any. I never gave my parents a reason to mistrust me or make arbitrary rules for me. I knew to be home at a reasonable time and to not be drinking, doing drugs and partying. I guess I was a weird teen, though.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:19 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Yes, but that was okay when i was a kid in the 1950's. I was a good kid and I wanted to please my parents. It sure kept me out of trouble and I am really glad they were strict. I am glad I didn't get in any kind of trouble. WHen I went out on my own to college, I knew better and I made the right choices because I was raised right with rules. I raised my kids the same way.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 11:23 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• They were not "strict" - I just knew the rules and obeyed them - for the most part. I had no specific curfew, just knew when I should be home. They expected respect and got it. They expected honesty and got it. They expected obedience and got it. Not by fear or by being overbearing. They just expected it and taught us from the beginning. I have to say when I was a teen and I met my-now-dh, they had reason to ground me on several occasions, but they truly let me get away with quite a bit. I was the "baby" by almost 9 years, so I know they were more lenient with me! I totally agree with MrsLeftlane too - I can only hope I am 1/2 as good as they were...they are completely awesome!!
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 11:46 PM on Jan. 10, 2010