Is a potluck wedding really tacky?

So my df and I are getting married this Sept or Oct (haven't picked an exact date yet) and we really don't want to put a lot of money into it. If I had lots of money to spend, I would but we don't so we're going to keep it as simple as possible. The place I want to have the reception at is $1250 to rent it from 10am-midnight and they allow any caterer you want or give you the option of doing your own food. We were thinking about either doing our own food (simple finger foods) or having a potluck reception. We want to keep it really casual and fun so we're not looking to do any expensive fancy plated dinners or professional catering. Would you think its really tacky if you went to a potluck wedding reception where everyone brought a dish and just had fun in a casual setting, or would you think its really tacky and classless to ask people to bring food? Sorry I didn't know what category to put this in.

Kaybean

Asked by Kaybean at 12:06 AM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Food & Drink

• my brother & SIL had a potluck reception. It was actually a lot of fun :D
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Your wedding can be whatever YOU want it to be. That's why it's called YOUR day. Sometimes it's fun to change things around and do things differently. I say go for it.
    JessicaB86

Answer by JessicaB86 at 12:08 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Completely tacky if you are planning on inviting more than just 10 people!!!!!

My girlfriend had a buffet meal. I actually did the food. It was Wal-Mart fried chicken, green beans and corn mixed (large cans from Sam's Club) salad. (We bought a bunch of lettuce heads and a couple bags of salad, just for "color") Bought the dollar bakery bread from Wal-mart and sliced it in half.

The display was wonderful, and the expense wasn't that bad. We had enough for 150 people. Paid about 300. You start buying now, you won't notice the budget.
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 12:10 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I have been to a few potluck (pitch in) receptions. It will save you a ton on cost and the variety of food is great too. If you have a big family and several friends it will can be really nice. There is nothing wrong with doing it this way, you can save the food cost and have a nice honeymoon :)
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 12:11 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I think a potluck is a great idea... They are actually lots of fun...:) Congrats to you!!
    PeriwinklePixel

Answer by PeriwinklePixel at 1:20 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I think Potluck is a great idea. If you are planning for spring or summer or live where it is warm, go to the park and have a big barbecue!
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 7:27 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I think a potluck sounds like a great idea and a lot of fun!! I can't stand formal receptions. This way, everyone will feel as if they're a part of your special day, not just a guest you invited to get a gift out of it, you know? I would love to get invited to a wedding like this.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 7:32 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Potluck is very casual, so I have to ask why 1250 for the hall? That seems out of perspective to me. What is the hall giving you besides a location and a bathroom? Of course it matters if you are in Nebraska of California. Yeah if the hall is overlooking a scenic destination great, but if not I bet you can get something cheaper. I would rather get the food from the local deli than ask guest to bring it, but that is just me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:55 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Tacky. I would not go to a wedding where I was asked to bring my own food. Are you expecting to receive wedding gifts as well? It's kind of like....oh here come to our wedding, you bring the food and don't forget to bring us our gift....yeah....not so much!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:04 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I am a professional photographer and do wedding consultation as a side job along with my full time job. I truly think pot luck is very tacky and i know that a lot of others think so too. Asking guests to bring a dish can seen very rude and some people will feel like they have to. Some can't afford a gift plus bringing a dish and a lot of people won't want too. My husband and i did something very similar however,and it worked out great so i will share. We asked our parents to help cook and we did some cooking our selves. I asked a couple of aunts to make some of their best dishes and a few other close relatives and friends. This way we weren't putting a burdon on our guests and we still had the pot luck style buffet. I wish you luck and congratulations on your engagement.
    wifeffd95c

Answer by wifeffd95c at 8:05 AM on Jan. 11, 2010