Is a potluck wedding tacky?

So my df and I are getting married this Sept or Oct (haven't picked an exact date yet) and we really don't want to put a lot of money into it. If I had lots of money to spend, I would but we don't so we're going to keep it as simple as possible. The place I want to have the reception at is $1250 to rent it from 10am-midnight and they allow any caterer you want or give you the option of doing your own food. We were thinking about either doing our own food (simple finger foods) or having a potluck reception. We want to keep it really casual and fun so we're not looking to do any expensive fancy plated dinners or professional catering. Would you think its really tacky if you went to a potluck wedding reception where everyone brought a dish and just had fun in a casual setting, or would you think its really tacky and classless to ask people to bring food? Sorry I didn't know what category to put this in.

Kaybean

Asked by Kaybean at 12:07 AM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Entertainment

• It's tacky. I wouldn't attend a wedding where the guest is expected to bring something to eat.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I don't think so. Do what you want to do. It will turn out fine and be a lot of fun :)
    JessicaB86

Answer by JessicaB86 at 12:10 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Refer to your other post of this question... I went on and on...

Also, very tacky.
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 12:11 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• with much respect to you honestly i think its really tacky what i did was ask someone to do the food a family member ....so it wasnt that expensive and you didnt have to wory if you have the food ready on your wedding day! good luck hun
    Naralie

Answer by Naralie at 12:12 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• No, if you talk to your family before hand and explain it to them. If you have a big enough family, let them do the cooking for you. That is what my wedding was. All my aunts pitched in and made the food themselves. It was awesome and compliments were plenty!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Yes, it's tacky. Come on now these people go out of there way to attend yor wedding don't expect them to bring food and a gift.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Mmmmm....I think its a bit tacky. JMO. I would go and I would have fun, but it would be wierd. For my wedding, we had a family friend help out with the food. We purchased it from Gordon Foods (or you could do Sam's or whatever) and had simple things - ham sammies, potato salad, baked beans, chips, fruit, etc etc etc. You don't have to go all out. You can still keep it simple and fun but not a potluck.
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 12:24 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Also, if you are renting a place until midnight, it is expected to feed your guests, not just finger foods either.
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 12:25 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• From your other question:
    Completely tacky if you are planning on inviting more than just 10 people!!!!!

My girlfriend had a buffet meal. I actually did the food. It was Wal-Mart fried chicken, green beans and corn mixed (large cans from Sam's Club) salad. (We bought a bunch of lettuce heads and a couple bags of salad, just for "color") Bought the dollar bakery bread from Wal-mart and sliced it in half.

The display was wonderful, and the expense wasn't that bad. We had enough for 150 people. Paid about 300. You start buying now, you won't notice the budget
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 12:29 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• So people bringing homecooked meals is more tacky than buying pre-cooked meals from Wal Mart?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Jan. 11, 2010