What do I need For My Infant?

I am currently 30 weeks and still have yet to buy anything except for 3 sleepers.(its a boy) I wanted to know what do I need (clothing wise) and (blanket wise) lol and how many of each item? if you have any info please help(:

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:40 AM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• must haves are receiving blankets, burp towels,onesies, and sleepers, well thats what work for my new baby boy too
    mellyhayes

Answer by mellyhayes at 1:47 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• if it is cold where you are get baby gowns, though in the first week or two you'll likely want to rely on kimono style (side snapping) t shirts as they are easy to put on and just swaddle if needed. If you are breast feeding it is especially important to get lots of skin to skin contact so keep the baby as naked as much as possible, but even if you aren't skin to skin regulates their body temperature and heart rate in a way clothing can never do. It also makes diaper changes easier. Don't bother with buying outfits right now. YOu don't know the body type of the baby and they will just get in the way and too much fabric is a hinderance and frustrating for both of you. I would avoid the mittens...yes newborns tend to scratch themselves...but this will pass...they are tactile creatures and it is important for them to be able to feel. All that fabric is just a barrier. Save your money!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:08 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Lots of burp cloths and receiving blankets (I love the flat fold diapers for this purpose because they can be used as diapers AND can be used for many other things after babies have grown). You'll need diapers of course cloth (I recommend it) or scent free disposables. The ones that are perfumed are far more prone to causing a rash. Even if you are using disposable diapers, I wouldn't use commercial wipes. They are full of chemicals and can burn and contribute to diaper rash. Get a bunch of baby washcloths (or buy nice ones from little-lions.com) to use as wipes. Wet them with PLAIN water (you don't need to fuss) and roll them up for use, toss in the laundry to clean. If you live in a cold climate I suggest the king lionheart cloth wipes warmer. The warmer is a luxury not a necessity.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:13 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• If you are breastfeeding no pacifiers, no bottles UNLESS you are going back to work immediately. That can wait. If you are going back immediately make sure the bottle is breast friendly such as adiri, dr. browns, or breast flow by avent. Go to http://www.kellymom.com/  for more info on the right pump for your needs.

By the way, toss out or bring back all the baby lotions, baby oils, and powders. They are chemical cocktails (read the labels) and are bad for the skin. Powder is bad for the lungs especially the ones with talc. NEVER use powder on a baby. Instead, get yourself a nice bottle of virgin coconut oil or olive oil or raw shea butter. I really like the coconut oil but olive oil is very nice too. I use coconut oil for slathering the toosh and for softening cradle cap. Also get pure aloe vera for soothing red areas and baby acne.

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:18 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Forgot to mention, I had three dozen flat diapers/receiving blankets but a dozen would have been okay, two dozen plenty. For cloth diapers I had three dozen prefolds and three covers (four is better). For outfits, I had one package of side snap tshirts (about five or six) and three gowns. I had a few outfits for gifts but only used them if we had visitors and then took them off. Baby was naked or swaddled most of the time the first couple of weeks.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:21 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• There are a couple things that I use tons of. I use receiving blankets like they are going out of style, I feel they are good for everything from covering the baby or laying him on the floor, to using as a burp cloth and a spit rag. I bought about a dozen and I use them every single day. The other thing we seem to use a lot with this baby are zippered sleep and play outfits. My first son was born in the summer and lived in onsies, but for this baby (born in October) we use the long sleeve footed outfits. He sleeps in them and sometimes still wears them for a day out. I would say that we have 6 to 9 of the sleep and play outfits, but half of them came as hand me downs. As far as warm blankets we usually use 2 or 3 at a time. I have some bigger ones (meant as throw blankets or toddler blankets) that are a good size to put over his entire carseat for when we are outside. cont...
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 9:25 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• cont... I will usually use a regular baby blanket over his lap if we are going out and it's cold, and then I have one on the floor at home for him now that he spends time playing and learning to use his muscles. When your baby is tiny you really won't need a lot of things as long as the baby isn't a spitter and you think you will feel up to getting a load of laundry in the wash every so often.
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 9:28 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• SWADDLE BLANKETS!!! kiddpotamous maked awesome ones work WAAAY better then recieving blankets and they are cheap at walmart
    Mommy2Layla08

Answer by Mommy2Layla08 at 10:04 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Someone else mentioned gowns and I like them SO much better than sleepers! Much easier to pull up the gown and change the diaper in the middle of the night rather than dealing with snaps, and they're just as warm because generally they are swaddled in blankets anyway.

Answer by missanc at 10:11 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• You can buy a bunch of stuff but until you get in the groove of things you won't really know what YOU need. The burp cloths are great, I used them to cover my shoulder from spit up and to cover furniture when I laid my son down on furniture at other ppls homes and I used them when my son was potty training to line his underwear the first few times we went out without pull ups.

I also loved the gowns with the string/zip closure at the bottom bc they covered him up and just opened right up for diaper changes

All those snaps are a huge pain especially for poop blow outs the last thing you want is a bunch of snaps so I strayed from onesies and snappy things if possible

A must for me again would be the wrap carrier, I put my son in it from the very beginning and he loved it and it was comfy for me enough to wear it around the house.

The last must for me was the boppy pillow, I loved that thing, to lay him on and to nurse

1st_LadyD

Answer by 1st_LadyD at 10:27 AM on Jan. 11, 2010