so me and my ex are legally married but are seperated, what should I file in my taxes, married-filing seperate or head of household?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:43 AM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Money & Work

• If longer then 6 months has passed that you have not lived together I believe you can file HH
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 1:46 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• when I was doing my first run through with my taxes (I do them online, with each W2 we get, I redo it LOL I'm just odd)
    one of the questions did mention that if you were together with your spouse at all in 2009, you file married. As to the joint or separate, I'm not sure. Call HRBlock and ask
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:08 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• My ex and I separated in August of 2005 - when my brother (a CPA) did my taxes he said I had to file as married filing separately which really lowered what I would have gotten back. If your STBX will agree to file jointly and then split the return you will probably come out better. But I don't believe you can file head of household if you were married at all during the year, I could be wrong.

Answer by missanc at 10:14 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Call the IRS 1-800-829-1040 - Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. your local time (Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time).

Answer by rkoloms at 11:30 AM on Jan. 11, 2010