• In the Spotlight:

HELP PLEASE!!!!!!

My nine month old refuses to sleep..For the past week he will only get one hour and half nap a day and then he goes to bed between 730-830pm then he wakes up constantly...He doesnt cry he just doesnt want to sleep..He doesnt act as if anything wrong, so what do I do for him to help him get the sleep he needs?

sleepless2009

Asked by sleepless2009 at 2:44 AM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• HMM... Maybe it is a phase, and it will pass in a few weeks, if not try cuddling and rocking again each time he wakes. It is likely a phase.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 2:55 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I have tried everything...Even when he is asleep on me he is extremely restless...He has little dark circle under his eyes from not getting enough rest...He is wide awake showing no signs of wanting to sleep and when he does go to sleep he is still awake moving around...Geeeesssshhhh kids need to come with instructions, lol...I dont mind the sleep loss for me, I am use to it, but I feel bad for him bc I feel I am failing as a mommy to him...
    sleepless2009

Answer by sleepless2009 at 2:58 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Maybe give him a little tylenol or gas x or benedryl... not all at once, but the last one will make him sleepy and the first one will help him out if its just growing pains and the gas x will help with a tummy ache... i'd try the first and then the last one if the first doesn't work.. good luck.. welcome to mother hood lol
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 3:23 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• ps your not failing.. try giving him a warm bath, and get him all warm and swaddle him and then give him a boob or a bottle.. a long bath and the rocking and food should put him out.. good luck
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 3:24 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I have tried literally everything that you guys have recommended, except for giving him meds..Which he has to take benadryl on occasion bc he has allergies, but it has an adverse affect on him, instead of sleeping he is wide eyed and bushy tail with it..lol...I tried a bottle, but that doesnt work he refuses it bc he has gotten in a routine with eating, a warm bath has no effect...Thats why I have turned here...I'm completely lost on what to do other than let him stay awake until he is tired and then that isnt helpful for him either...I wonder if may I should give his doctor a call in the morning bc he has been like this for a week.We at first thought it may have something to do with my husband being home, he travels a lot with his job, but he has been home since Nov. and his sleeping pattern just started a week ago...It really has me worried...No one ever told me parenting would be so fun an easy, lol...TY for all the advice.
    sleepless2009

Answer by sleepless2009 at 3:45 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Could he be afraid of something? Did anything happen recently that would frighten him?
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 3:45 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Now that I think of it bc of ur question, he fell exactly a week ago. My friends lil girl wanted to hold him an he moved an fell straight down on his head an snapped his neck back an then he landed on his back. He didn't really start crying til he realized I was in complete shock, I thought he broke his neck an it froze me in my tracks when he wasn't moving. My friend is a nurse an she checked him out an he was just fine. I wander if him feelin the fear I had has cause it. Bc that day my heart literally stopped for about ten seconds until I knew he was alive an ok.
    sleepless2009

Answer by sleepless2009 at 4:13 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• That could be it, and he might have hurt his back or neck where it is uncomfortable to relax. Give him a warm bath and then massage him using baby oil. Good luck poor little guy.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 4:44 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I'd at least mention it to your doc. He/she might want to do a more thorough examination than what your nurse friend gave him.... especially since his sleeping behavior changed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:35 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• my daughter did this, it is more then likely that they are about to hit a milestone and their little brains wont stop working bc its all they can think about my daughter was nine months and was absolutly restless and the day she turned 10 months she stood up and walked across the room that very night she slept 12 hours! and has been ever since. i say wait it out and see what he does@
    Mommy2Layla08

Answer by Mommy2Layla08 at 9:59 AM on Jan. 11, 2010