Thank you cards?

Okay, so I came across a post that read something along the lines of "If you have your child open their gifts at their party then you can just thank the gift giver there rather than send a thank you card."

So, my question is--do you agree? Would you still send a thank you card?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:12 AM on Jan. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't think children should be required to do thank you card, but when they are older sure. You can send thank yous for adults from you. I guess it depends on the age too.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 3:14 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• ive never done thank you cards for my daughter when its her bday, or christmas, but i do make sure she thanks everyone in person that day when she gets them
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:20 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• The kids should thank them at the party, but i always send thank you cards.. it makes them feel special and always secures a present for next year lol ... for the most part
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 3:20 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• We say thank you AND send Thank you cards. Since my son is too young to write his own thank you card, I write one from him, let him color it and then usually throw in a picture of him enjoying his gift.
    I think it is both good manners, and a good lesson in appreciating people.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 3:38 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• When they were four we get the thank you cards together and then I have them sign their names the best way they could  then put the stamp on it. I would address it at least. But this way they would understand when you get something you should at least send a thank you card.  It just shows etiquette. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• We always do thank-you cards when given a gift, whether the gift-giver was present for the opening of the gift or not. When my son was younger, we wrote the cards out for him, and as he got older I got pre-written cards that had space for him to fill in the person's name, what the gift was and his signature so he could "write" the cards himself. Writing thank-you cards teaches appreciation for the gift and the person who gave you the gift. It forces you to acknowledge their generosity and kindness to you in a very formal way, making you a better person in the long run.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I always have her say thank you. I always send letters. This year since she can wirte. I will write a little thank you and then have her copy it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• we never are able to give due graditude at the bday party and i want to write thank you for coming in the first place. i hate doing the cards! and mail is so expensive... but you gotta do it.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 10:19 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• OP here--Thanks to everyone who answered! BTW, I agree with all you and think that thank you cards are a must.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Jan. 11, 2010