14 month old time out

I have started giving my 14 month old time outs. They seem to be working, our only problem is he won't actually sit for the whole minute on his own. We have to take him to his time out spot, and keep him there ourselves. Is this okay? He doesn't struggle as bad now to get up, but we still are holding him down mostly, not holding him hard, just keeping him down. We have a time out chair that I would love to start using, I just know he won't sit in it. Any thoughts?? Please no bashing

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:14 AM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• In my opinion, and I'm really not bashing just stating my opinion, is that he's too young for time out. Redirection would probably work better at his age. My daughter will be 13 months tomorrow and there's no way in hell I'd ever get her to sit in time out, let alone understand the whole concept of it. When she's getting in to trouble I give her a firm "NO", remove her, and get her interested in something else.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:25 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I think you'd be hard pressed to get a 1 year old to sit still anywhere, let alone in time out. The only time my son sit still is when he's eating, and of course you don't want to feed a child in timeout or you'll send mixed messages. I think it's fine to sit with him while he's in time out - but I've read that timeouts with children this young are generally less of the "sitting in the corner" variety and more of a "Let's just take a break for a moment" sort. Kids at this age start getting a little hyper or over stimulated and don't know when or how to calm them selves down so if they get out of control or start misbehaving it's a good idea to say "We need a time out" then take him to another room and just sit quietly. You can read a book or watch a minute of a movie - anything low key. It's not supposed to be punishment - just a calm moment to refocus all of that energy.

Anyway, sitting with him is probably fine.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:26 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• He doesn't understand that is why he is fighting it, maybe when he is 2 he will understand better and the chair will work.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:28 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• when my dd was about that age she would throw tantrums so we would put her in an empty play pen until she was calm and over it.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:30 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• You are right. What you are doing is perfect. One minute time out at 14mo is fine and using a time out spot instead of just confining them in a playpen is effective and inspired parenting. Pretty soon there will be no struggle and you will be able to tell her to sit in her time out spot.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 7:55 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• What you are doing is just fine. If you keep putting him back, he WILL get the picture. That is NOT too young to start disciplining. You will be much happier for it later, I PROMISE!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 8:04 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• You are wasting your time. When he does something that needs to be corrected, spank his bare leg and tell him "no." It's quick, easy, and effective! Yes, he should feel the pain of his wrongdoing! Just be careful not to overdo it.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:08 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I have the same problem with my 15 month old.I know they understand "no" but I have found it more effective to say a firm no and then distract them with something else. I have tried the time outs and they just don't work yet...
    Derekt1

Answer by Derekt1 at 8:14 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• At 14 months, we still did "baby timeouts". We would hold her immobilized on our lap, and count backwards from 20 (then 40, then 60, etc.).

Answer by rkoloms at 11:22 AM on Jan. 11, 2010