how am I going to let her go to preschool ??

My daughter is 3 year old. People kept telling me to put her in Preschool. The thing is that my daughter is very attached to me. I am a stay at home Mom so she had never been away from me. How am I suppose to let her to go to Preschool when I can't even go to the store or the bathroom alone? Oh and she is shy like around new people.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:32 AM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You don't HAVE to put her in preschool if you don't want to. Something to keep in mind though, it would make kindergarten easier on all of you if you start doing something that would introduce her to the idea of school. Many preschools offer part time programs where you can send them for 3 hours a day in the mornings 2 or 3 days a week. This might be an option for you since you don't NEED childcare, but for her to socialize and get used to the idea of going to school. It's a nice break for you too and you can get some shopping done in peace. This is what I do with my 4 year old and his 6 year old sister before him. She adjusted very well to kindergarten and I was the only one crying, lol.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:41 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Children are very resilient, she will be fine. She needs to be more social, this will help her along, she will probably cry for the first few days and adapt like the all the other kids do, it will be in her best interest and yours to have that pre-school interaction.

Answer by older at 8:35 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• You don't have to if you don't want to. If you think she needs the socialization and early learning then fine, but if not she doesn't need to go. Also she will get over her attachment in time.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:35 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• my son was the same...i never let him go to a daycare until he was 3 and he cried the first week but then he got super attached to the teacher and when i would come to pick him up he wouldnt want to come to me...=) Try doing what i did and start out by just letting her go twice a week for a couple of hours a day.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:43 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Separation anxiety is normal. Start out small and try leaving her for a few minutes at a time as you gradually increase the time she is on her own you need to start taking her for play dates. Teachers in preschool are trained for the tears and hysterics from kids who haven't been used to being away from mom. Teaching your daughter to be independent is important for her self esteem and gives her the ability to adapt to different situations. Good luck.
    BooBear666

Answer by BooBear666 at 8:51 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Well at some point you have to allow her to have some independence. Do you plan to homeschool your child? If not, I think it's more appropriate to make this transition in a preschool setting than to send her to kindergarten crying with attachment issues. My son goes to preschool tuesdays and thursdays and he absolutely loves it.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 8:52 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I know exactly what you are going through my dd was the same way we had never been seperated since her birth so you can imagine how it was for me too, she did not go to preschool and just went ahead and started kindergarten yes the first week was tough for the both of us but we survived. Once we got it going good we had that Hurriacane Ike come pay a visit and caused my kids to miss school for 8 days so it made it worse for her so we had to start all that drama all over again but now she loves going to school...the best thing to do is give her something she likes in her little backpack or a note from you saying you love her or kiss her little hand with a blotch of lipstick coming from your lips just something to help her cope with this seperation she will b fine u know...it will soon pass. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:09 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• it is the same with my son. he is 3 and people tell me he should go to preschool. i never went and i was fine. he is very smart. he know his colors, shapes, abc's, counts to 15, can write his name. i think preschool is a waste of money to tell you the truth.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Keep reminding yourself that she will one day have to go to school without you and start with baby steps. Have someone baby sit for a day, let her spend the night at Grandmas or a cousins house and work yourself up until you're ready to be apart more. I was the same way with my 4 year old. It's hard to watch them grow, but sometimes as the parent you have to look at the whole picture. You'll both be okay. (((hugs)))
    PeytonNBella

Answer by PeytonNBella at 9:22 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• You don't have to do it. Instead try just going to mother and toddler groups.

I most likely with end up keeping my son at home. He is pretty independent and I may take him occasional but it all depends on what he wants and needs. I won't force him to be detached from me if he isn't ready.

I think you should do what you think is best and screw what other people say.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 9:24 AM on Jan. 11, 2010