So if your salvation can't be revoked.....what does this scripture mean?

"It is impossible for thoe who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age, if they fall away, to be brought back to repentance, because to their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace." Hebrews 6:4-6

Does this mean that if someone has once truly known God in their heart but decides to later turn their back on Him that they can never repent and change their mind?

Something's Gotta Give

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• i don't believe this scripture is talking about a complete turning away..it states 'brought back into repentence', so that IMO means they haven't gone too far out of the reach of repentence.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:41 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• This is a passage that is often debated, and I don't think anyone knows for sure exactly what it means. I do, however, think that it should serve as a warning to those who know Christ that the relationship is very sacred and that we should never, ever risk turning our backs on Him. I also believe that those who have tasted the goodness of Jesus Christ and the sweetness of living our lives in His presence, wouldn't ever want to reject Him or turn their backs on Him. So the passage may just serve as a reminder of that.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:45 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Jehovah's Witnesses don't think that is always the case.
    “If we practice sin willfully after having received the accurate knowledge of the truth, there is no longer any sacrifice for sins left, but there is a certain fearful expectation of judgment.” As another Bible writer says, “there is a sin that does incur death." - Hebrews 10:26, 27; 1 John 5:16 (Matt. 12:31 aswell as Heb. 6:4-6).
    BUT only God himself will Judge and only He can knows (1Sam 16:7 "...for Jehovah, he sees what the heart is") whether a certain Christian has committed the unforgivable sin or not. But more likely than not, the very fact that the Christian is so concerned and deeply disturbed about it is an indication that he has not committed the unforgivable sin, especially so if he is overwhelmed with grief and is repentant about his sin.
    JWMum

Answer by JWMum at 10:03 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Okay, this verse is talking about someone who has seen, tasted and experienced the truth of God. And if they walk away, they are putting Christ to shame, "they tear him out of the recesses of their hearts where He had fixed His abode and exhibit Him to the open scoffs of the world as something powerless and common" [BLEEK in ALFORD].

So say I were to walk away from God, I would have to consciously tell God to get out of me and leave me alone. That is quite harsh. The impossibility to come back does not come from God, but from the condition of a person willing to tear God out of their own heart. They will have to be won again by the great love and sacrifice of Jesus on the cross, but it might have no effect on them anymore since they didn't care when they walked away, and showed contempt for His sacrifice already and put Him to shame.

BUT, with God all things are possible. "For it is God who works in us. . ."
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 11:28 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• So I was sitting here having coffee with my DH and I asked him what he thought of your question. And we were just talking about that verse. And he brought up the Parable of the Sower. He said Chuck Smith compares it to seed that fell on the stoney ground. 

"We know that Jesus taught that the seed fell on different kinds of soil. Some of the seed fell by the wayside, some of it fell on stoney ground, while other fell among the thorns and some fell on good ground. That which was sown by the wayside, immediately Satan came along and plucked it up."

cont.

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 11:54 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• "We have met people who have no response or reaction to the word of God. It doesn’t penetrate at all. Then that which fell on stoney ground are they who hear the word with gladness, there’s a quick spurt, comes up fast because there is not enough dirt there. It’s nice and warm due to the rock but as soon as the sun is out because there is no depth, it withers and dies. I believe this is the class being referred to in verse six. They come and get excited about the word and the things of the Lord but there is no depth or root system."

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 11:55 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• "Jesus said whoever would come to him, he would in no wise cast out. I know whatever background or exposure you may have had in the past if you come to Jesus Christ He will in no wise cast you out. So this verse would not apply to you. If you say I don’t want to come and I won’t come, then it probably does apply to you. If you have a hardened heart in which there is no place for repentance, then it just might apply to you. But if you yearn to get back to God then you have nothing to worry about as it doesn’t apply to you." --that was from the Chuck Smith Commentary that DH brought up.

He said part of it refers to the Jewish sacrificial system too that was based on continual sacrifice. Since it was written to the Hebrews Paul was addressing the idea that you can go sin and then bring another sacrifice when you are ready to repent. And Christianity had done away with that.

It is all about the ONE sacrifice!!!
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 11:58 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Anyways, sorry to dominate your question : ) It just sparked a nice little dialogue with the hubby. He is so cute when he shares the Scriptures with me, so thank you!!!

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 12:04 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• No need to apologize Cinnamon, as always I appreciate your answers. Thanks!
    Anonymous

• You are secure in salavation, it cannot ever be revoked by God but you alone can revoke it if you choose to turn away and deny Christ. I wish I could explain it the way some of the writers from the books I read do. It is about His grace and when we walk away from Grace, from what He did at the cross... we just threw away a gift that He desired us to have.
    Look at it this way. A friend gives you a gift and you open it up and you are delighted with it, it gives you joy that this friend loved you so much to give you this gift. You keep the gift for sometime but then one day you decide I do not want anything to do with the gift anymore and toss it and you tell your friend you never want that gift. You just threw away the love she put into that gift, the grace she gave to you and you just threw away her. Later on you decide you want that gift again... but it is gone.. forever, you are unable to get it back and your cont
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:41 PM on Jan. 11, 2010