How can I get my baby to go to bed without rocking?

I've always rocked her to sleep! She's almost 11 months old! Last night I tried putting her to bed awake and within 3 minutes she got so upset she threw up! Any tips or pointers?!

JBeals

Asked by JBeals at 9:37 AM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try rocking her til she is sleepy but not asleep. Then lay her down and pat her back to sleep.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 9:48 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• goooood luck! my daughter always fell asleep in her swing or us rocking her and now at 13 months she SCREAMS if you dont she wont lay down and go to sleep, and i found out the later that that is the worst thing to ever do to your baby bc once you start you wont be able to stop. . . a friend of mine told me its ganna suck for a couple days but when you know shes tired, put some soft muic on in her room or a tv and let her cry it out. . . she even sat in there wit hher sometimes until she eventually laid down of exaustion, worked for her, im still in the stage of those few days that suck. .
    Mommy2Layla08

Answer by Mommy2Layla08 at 9:55 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• why i never had a rocker in my house.
    the baby needs to eventually learn to soothe themselves to sleep on their own. GL
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:05 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• It's going to be very hard because she is so used to it - you will probably have to rock her until the point she is almost asleep then lay her down. Try rocking a little less each night, and there will probably be some crying involved. Sorry I can't be more help, I never dealt with this situation.

Answer by missanc at 10:09 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• It's not the rocking that is the culprit, it is the routine of it. Routines can backfire. Babies should be encouraged to sleep anywhere, anytime, with rocking and without rocking. That way they have many ways and places to fall asleep and there is no need to bother with the stress when the parent decides they no longer want to do with the routine or decide to go from crib to bed.

Wean her gently and kindly and that takes time. Enjoy the rocking moments because too soon they will be gone and you will miss it.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:24 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I know it sounds inhumane, let her cry.. try the thurber (i think thats how its spelt) method. at first go in after five minutes.. do not look at your babe.. rub their back for a few minutes.. then go away.. if the crying persists go in after ten minutes.. do not look at your babe.. rub their back fora few minutes.. then go away.. do this up intiil twenty minutes... after that every twenty minutes you go in and do the routine... habits are hard to break.. but i will tell you i rocked my babe until she was two and broke the habit this way.. it is natural for them to puke when they are tense and crying. but if you want to break the rocking habit, that is one downfal to allwoign them to cry.. it will get better :)
    icn_mom

Answer by icn_mom at 11:17 PM on Jan. 11, 2010