A convicted child molester just moved into my neighborhood. People are outraged and have threatened his life, burned his car and sent him warning letter telling him to move out.

Do you think he deserves a second chance. He spent 5 years in jail and claims he is a different person?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I don't blame your neighbors. After seeing the effects of sexual abuse on a friend of mine's adopted daughter, I have no sympathy whatsoever for a child molester. If one moved in my neighborhood, I'd make his life a living hell.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• this os complelty wrong! people shouldnt be doing that to him! everyone deserves a second chance, im not saying let him babysit but let him live the rest of his life!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I do not feel child molesters can be rehabilitated. I don't think threatening murder and destroying his property is ok either.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 9:43 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• He has to live somewhere
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 9:44 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Every person deserves a chance. They also have the right to live in peace.

No one had the right to treat him they way they have. He has to register with the city so that anyone can find out that he is. They should be punished for burning his car and threatening his life.

Just keep an eye on him and if anything seems wrong youhave the right to call the cops. If you tell them he is a convicted child molester they will be able to look it up and if he does anything he should not do they can take care of it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I do believe in people changing and I believe in 2nd chances (but not 3rd chances). I think people are out of hand on this and if they don't want their children near him, don't let their children just pay outside unattended and don't let them go to his house and don't invite him over. I think it is wrong how the neighbors are treating him. Also, what did he do? Was he like a sex offender that has sex w/a 16 year old when he was 18? Or was it a sex offender that like raped a 7 year old? I know a guy who married my friend who was a great guy but was only a sex offender b/c he had sex w/his girlfriend when he 18 and she was 17 and her dad turned him in. My DH's grandparents live across the street from a registered sex offender in a nice neighborhood and the guy doesn't bother anybody.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 9:50 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Having studied Psychology and having a degree in Psychology as well I dont think he or anyone else with a disorder such as his deserves a second chance. There is no cure for someone that preys on children, or for rapists. There is no rehabilitation for them. The only thing they can offer them is chemical castration which is something that is so controversial its rarely even asked of the person. In fact in general someone who truly wants to change asks for it before they are offered, and it still is not 100%. I think he doesnt deserve to be stalked, harassed or bullied, and that those who break the law need to be held accountable. At the same time I dont believe this man can change, and I think he should not have been given the chance to move into a neighborhood with children where he will be tempted and likely reoffend.

Answer by gemgem at 9:54 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Where the Hell is he supposed to live? Let's be realistic here. Everybody needs to do what they can to keep their children safe, but breaking the law by harassing him isn't cool.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• This is WRONG. You wouldn't believe how many convicted sex offenders live in your area! Have you ever looked it up? They have to live somewhere, and should be loved with a human compassion.

National Sex Offender Registry

RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 10:29 AM on Jan. 11, 2010

• What they did is wrong, but I still wouldn't want him living nearby. No, I don't think 5 years in jail makes him anything other than 5 years older and still a sick pervert.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:33 AM on Jan. 11, 2010